Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jug Float Fishing For Cats at DVL

Default Jug Float/Trot Line Fishing at DVL, Legal?? And Report

Is trot line or jug float fishing at Diamond Valley legal?

Saw a stationary jug in current today at the lake. Upon getting closer there was a nylon line with three hooks baited with bright pink gizzards or liver, dunno. The float setup used a trailer hitch ball as a weight. Saw a few of these today. Their where no labels with ID on them. They were not being closely attended.
    Have only seen this in the southern US on TV.

Bass fishing in the afternoon was slow. Water dropped about 5 degrees in a week to about 73. Water is clear in most parts of the lake with visibility about 15 feet or more. Heard the morning was better. Fished the DS, creature, square bill and small swimmy. Bait loaded up in the coves.
    The fish I saw on the meter were in about 25 to 30 feet off cuts within coves or just hanging out in the middle of the cove. Did not see many fish on points. Saw some large free swimmers off grass lines and vertical rock.
    Last edited by Stinkbait; 10-08-2015 at 11:03 AM.

Jug lines/trot lines..that brings back memories from my days growing up in Nebraska. Never seen that done out here. Im gonna go out on a limb and say that is as illegal as heck around here. Seems like a risky proposition for any poacher using that technique. Your leaving the evidence floating for everyone to see and then you have to come back to the crime scene to gather up your "booty". I would think even a rookie DFG agent could make a quick bust coming across this sort of enterprise and write a nice hefty ticket.

Skyler!

They found your jugs, brah.

Nope Trot line or jug fishing is not legal in CA. it's the "closely attended" wording that would elimintate those methods..

ARTICLE 1. FISHING METHODS
    AND GEAR RESTRICTIONS
    2.00. FISHING METHODS--GENERAL.
    (a) Except as otherwise authorized, all fish may be
    taken only by angling with one closely attended rod
    and line or one hand line with not more than three
    hooks nor more than three artificial lures (each lure
    may have three hooks attached) attached thereto.
    Anglers in possession of a valid two-rod stamp and
    anglers under 16 years of age may use up to two
    rods in inland waters which regulations provide for
    the taking of fish by angling, except those waters
    in which only artificial lures or barbless hooks may
    be used. See District Trout, Salmon and Special
    regulations for exceptions.
    Last edited by goodguy; 10-08-2015 at 10:15 AM.

Here is the evidence.

A trailer ball hitch?

Funny, I was like there is wind blowing into this cove, how in the heck is that jug not moving?
    I'll take make shift fishing weights for $1000 Alex.

Very very optimistic with the light gauge para cord ;)

....and come on guy, learn to tie a saltwater dropper loop!
    Last edited by Stinkbait; 10-08-2015 at 12:10 PM.

What the heck is the bait on there? Must have just been dropped in as the hitch has no sign of rust and the bait looks full and fresh. Somebody went all out with that setup...for nothing dammit.

"Let see what should I use for a weight".....long pause as the guy rummages though his shelves in the garage....."ahh, A trailer hitch. And heck maybe Ill get lucky and a carp will suck the chrome off the hitch".
    Last edited by HuskerRod; 10-08-2015 at 01:24 PM.

$2.00 for the hitch!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast