Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New PB Halibut

Default New PB Monster Halibut 10-4-15

Made plans to hit the beach with my buddy Sean. Not sure what we were gonna run into as the forecast was for 50% chance of rain and it was drizzling when I picked him up. The day turned out great, stayed overcast till around 9-10, no rain, low surf and slack tide coming.Overall we had some great conditions today.

We picked up some of the usual suspects: mac, bone, pancakes and calicos, Sean picked up a Juvie WSB & I scored my second Legal halibut and new PB, all 35.5 inches of Fatty Flatty.

I got a big hit while working a spot Sean had said to hit while he went back to rework another spot. First cast, picked up a micro bone at 8-10 in that I decided to keep for bait. 2nd cast, 1/2 way in, BANG, zzzz zzzz zzzz. I could tell it was a big fish, but didn't know just how big. Originally, I was thinking either a nice legal hali or a big Calico by the way it was fighting. Heavy strong fish, head shakes and stayed deep. After a couple good runs, as the fish got into the surf zone, it did a somersault and I caught a glimpse of the huge white belly and tail, I was like, "Holy S**t, big Hali!. I knew then that I wanted a landing assist with this one, so I bellowed for Sean who was 200yds down the beach and frantically waved him to get his rear over to me. Once Sean arrives and I get the beast into the shallows, it took 3-4 tries to get her far enough up the beach for Sean to get a good tail grab and finish pushing her up the sand. We took some pics and back in the water she goes. I big tail slap to say goodbye and off she goes strong as can be.

Epic day on the sand and thanks for reading.

Last edited by FishJerk; 10-06-2015 at 08:31 AM.

Wow nice fat flatty for sure! I'm thrilled when I get one on my skiff,it must be total elation to score a beauty like that from the surf,WTG! Congrats on the PB.

Cya Tuna Vic

nice fish... probably the fish of the lifetime from the surf! Saw the Vid Sean posted on FB amazing!

Congrats, awesome work!!

damn that's a toad. Congrats!!!!

Hi Ron:

Nice seeing you again at HG 7 (pretty sure I met you back in August when I bumped into Sean on the beach ). So awesome catch. Probably one of the biggest from the sand this week. Major PROPS on the release - I think you made everybody's day on that.

Take care,

Nick
    Last edited by anchor3n1; 10-06-2015 at 11:37 AM.

Way to go man, nice fish!

Incredible job Ron!!! Big Congrats on your PB and kudos on the release!!!

Don

Hi ya FishJerk,

Congratulations on your PB!

I'm so grateful to read in your report of some; possibly, Fall flatty's starting to cruise they're way in! Fingers crossed!!

Great fish action .... very nice read!

SP Dan <"))><

Default Wow !!!

Wow Have not seen a flatty caught that size in over a year !!! Congrat,s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast