Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HG7 Closing Statement... It's all about Family, Friends, Fun & Fishing.

Red face HG7 Closing Statement... It's all about Family, Friends, Fun & Fishing.

... and just like that, Hunting Giants 7 is in the history books.

We were blessed with great weather, flat swells and near perfect conditions...
    Even though the fishing weren't quite as epic as last year's, we managed to put some decent catches on the sand.
    I think we had about 7 or 8 short Halibut, a handful of Perch, a couple of Bonito, 3 or 4 Leopard Sharks, a few Bat Rays and a big Sand Bass.

I know that most of you didn't know this. But we had the honor of having the President of Lucky Craft International fishing among the HG7 participants.
    His wish was to remain anonymous and to be just one of the fishermen and we granted that...
    He was testing a prototype surf lure and caught a 18" Sand Bass. Well done sir!
    Thank you Lucky Craft and all our sponsors for your friendship and support.

I will start with this story, like I tell every year… Most of you know the story, but some new members may not, so I will tell it once again, so everyone will know the history of this event and what kind of a man Dana (Fisherman 57) was. It will also act as a reminder to those who were lucky enough to have known Dana, to never forget him and what he stood for.

Many years ago, Dana had a vision of turning strangers into friends by uniting them through fishing. His simple philosophy of “Family, Friends, Fun & Fishing” was embraced by fishermen of all ages and from all walks of life. Sharing their knowledge and fishing experience with each other in the name of conservation and passing their passion onto the younger generation.

The Hunting Giants Surf Fishing Event and many others, mostly in freshwater platform, were planned as a vehicle in which to bring people together for that purpose. I remember when Dana and I put together the first HG event seven years ago. We had about 30 participants that showed up. What we lack in numbers was compensated for the abundant of enthusiasm of those who did join us for that first event. By the time the second HG event rolled around, we doubled the attendance and Dana and I knew that this is a one of a kind venue. It had the potential to be the biggest event of its kind, anywhere.

When Dana passed away unexpectedly, it took the wind out of my sail and plans for HG3 were put on the shelf. I honestly did not want go forward with another HG event, even at the urging of fellow S.W.A.T. and other FNN members. Then one day, I received a private message from a young lady and her dad asking me when the next Hunting Giants event will be held. They told me that they had so much fun at the first two and it was the one event they look forward to every year and that it meant a lot to them and their family. The message was sent by Kelly (City Girl) and her father, Tim (City Dad). It dawned on me while reading that message that this was what Dana had envisioned all along. I wasn’t about to let his hard work fade away and his legacy to become a distant memory. It gave me all the motivation I needed to call on my fellow S.W.A.T. members for their help to get the third HG event off the ground.

HG3, HG4, HG5 and HG6 were spectacular and the attendance numbers grew with each event.

As with previous HG events, we actually had many people, members and sponsors alike reaching out to us, asking if they can help out and/or support the event. The willingness of individuals and companies to support our cause, along with the dedication and hard work of my S.W.A.T. Brothers and Sisters, is what makes the HG events the success that you experienced.

There are many people to thank, and I will try not to miss anybody. But if I do, please forgive me and send me a reminder PM.

I want to thank all the Registered Participants that attended the event, the members and guests of the Fishing Network and their families. These events have always been about “YOU” and for “YOU.” Thank you for coming out to join us in celebration of Family, Friends, Fun & Fishing in accordance with Dana’s philosophy. I hope that everybody had a great time. I appreciate the support that you have extended to me and the S.W.A.T. Team throughout the years. I hope events such as these will motivate you to go out there to chase your dream catch and post up reports to share your experiences.

Special thanks go out to those of you who went the “extra” mile to donate raffle prizes and contributed to the potluck. Way to “Pay it Forward.”
    This year, our raffle prize tables were overflowing with donations and 'everybody" that held a ticket received a prize... and more!

How about the potluck? As usual, the food was amazing. I’m sure that we got everybody pretty well fed. Thank you to all those who contributed to the potluck… indeed, sharing is caring.

A big applause for our Sponsors that stepped up this year like they do every year. Your generosity and support put a lot of smiles on peoples’ faces and we appreciate it very much. We thank you for your quality products, services and tireless dedication to our sport.
    Please accept our sincerest thanks for your contributions to HG7 and we look forward to working with all of you for many years to come. I will be reaching out personally to each and every one of you this week to relay our gratitude.

Additional thanks go out to:

Roberto Maya – Event Coordinator - Los Angeles County State Parks & Recreation.

Chief Mike Stefanak of the Department of Fish & Wildlife and his staff for their ardent support every year to this event. A job well done goes out to Officer Adam Smith who watched over our event on Saturday.
    The DFW are steadfast in their support for our event. They were stretched thin to cover the Lobster Opener the night before HG7, but still dedicated resources for our event. Thank you for your support.

My Mom for staying up all night, hand rolling and frying up 200 egg rolls for the event. As usual, they went fast!

Lastly… my S.W.A.T. Brothers & Sisters. Thank you for your personal contributions, donations, time invested and tireless efforts to make this event memorable for all those in attendance. Once again, all I needed to do was to show up on the day of the event and set it all in motion. My job was made easy, by the hard work of those who care about other people’s happiness, more than they care about their own… Thank you for “Getting it”, for “Paying it Forward” and embracing the spirit of a great Man and a great Friend. Dana’s legacy carries on in each and every one of us who choose never to forget.

We are forty-two (42) unique individuals in different walks of life, all woven together by a common thread. Thank you my S.W.A.T. Brothers and Sisters for your eternal friendship and support.

We’re already looking forward to Hunting Giants 8. We hope you will come out and join us again next year.

Sincerely,
    Arthur (Wingnut)

Congratulations to all the LC Lure Casting Competition winners and Fishing Derby Winners.

Enjoy all the photos and videos on the following threads.
    All photos courtesy of our official event photographer, Frank (iLLest).
    Videos courtesy of Dave (Perchin’ Dave).

Please feel free to share your photos of the event if you have them...

The only people who truly know your story, are the ones who help you write it...

Thumbs up HG7 Photos!

It has begun...

Good morning Trolly!

The pep talk...

The Lucky Craft crew setting up.

The hardware...

The Man of the hour...

My assistants...

Lucas modeling the HG7 swag...

The pot luck table growing by the minute...

Ramiro (Saltman)

The Lucky Craft Crew.

Dave (Perchin' Dave) and Brad (Dawn Treader).

Lucas (Mr_Dunev) and Tammy.

The Lucky Craft Casting Competition.

Jason from SC Surf Fishing and Evan.

DFW Warden Adam Smith.

Chuck Tennin from Marina Del Rey Sports Fishing.

Mikey (Exfactor), Roy (Q3Fishboy) and Bill (Which Way Out).

Mikey & Bill spent hours the night before preparing White Sea Bass fish tacos for everybody!

Hanging out with Jonathan (ToadsToadsOnly)

Ryan from Bob Sands Tackle.

Stevie and the always entertaining Lucas (Big Red Killa)

Jeff (Webmaster) and family.

Lucas (Mr_Dunev) and Tammy.

Jason (Jaysuuun), Tess (Tesserz) and the adorable Madison.

The "future" of S.W.A.T.

Consulting with Mike (Lt. Bones).

Chillin' with Robert (Murrieta Angler).

Vu (Vudoo)

Chris (Trollmiester) is expecting again... lol

Smile HG7 Photos!

The Bling...

Free Lucky Craft giveaway winners. Catch any fish on the LC and get a free lure.

Lucky Craft LC Casting Competition Winner (Junior Division)

Lucky Craft LC Casting Competition Winner (Adult Division)

Lucky Craft LC Casting Competition Winner (Adult Division)

Lucky Craft LC Casting Competition Winners.

Junior Fishing Derby Winner.

Adult Fishing Derby Winner.

Adult Fishing Derby Winners. Congrats to all!

The raffle...

Thumbs up More HG7 Photos!

Here's this year's video shot and edited by Perchin' Dave.
    I'll copy the Description of the video
    and the link at the end.
    Thank You All for an amazing event!! As always,
    it is good to see you, oh yeah!
    See you on the water ... and soon!! P.D.

HUNTING THE GIANTS 2015 - Catch & Release fishing derby, our SEVENTH annual Hunting The Giants fishing tournament October 3rd, 2015. It was held again this year at Will Rogers State Beach, South of Malibu California in Los Angeles, California. For the event, we attracted about 150 anglers in addition to a support crew of about 30 of The SWAT team who hosted the event. A big thanks goes out to "Wingnut" (Arthur) for making this a successful event, along with many other key helpers behind the scenes who all helped to make this happen. You know who you are, you're all amazing. A special thanks to Mike - XFactor and Bill - WWO for the amazing fish tacos, hot off the grill.

One area of focus for this annual event is to positively promote fishing to southern California anglers of all ages, but it goes much further.

Again this year, our 'Hunting The Giants' fishing event isn't about all the wonderful sponsors we appreciate, or the fabulous trophies or the fantastic raffle prizes. As a matter of fact, it's not ultimately about the fishing. It is about "Family, Friends, Fun and oh, we happen to be Fishing". We came to the event for the friends we made and those we reconnected with, for the camaraderie from our fellow anglers, for the bonds that we forged sharing our passion of the ocean with others. Realize that the best things in life cannot be seen or even touched... they must be felt.

I would like to personally thank each of those who helped as leaders as well as our sponsors. Thank you goes out to the SWAT team for your day of service to the community. Hey, and if you love fishing, come back often to www.fishingnetwork.net for the latest fishing reports in California and be sure to comment on the forums, often. Again, thank you "Wingnut" (Arthur) for all you did to make this possible.

Thank you Thank you Thank you ALL! "Perchin' Dave" (Dave Sommers, who shot and edited this video)

Be sure to check out and follow dave sommers at www.facebook.com/dave.sommers1 and www.instagram.com/awesomesommers and www.sommers1.juiceplus.com if you are looking to upgrade your health and/or income!! Oh yeah, so glad you've been here.

And if you didn't make it this year, plan on coming next fall. Hey, it isn't the same without you. Enthusiastically!! Dave Sommers, aka Perchin' Dave

VIDEO LINK TO HTG 7 https://youtu.be/LpR3qg7s3go >>>
    Last edited by Perchin' Dave; 10-05-2015 at 03:57 AM.

Amazing day as usual. Yes the fishing was horrible lol but the fish tacos made up for it haha. This will always be an event that I look forward to each year. Im ready HG8 so I can redeem myself lol. Guess you have to end up with a skunk sometimes. Thanks goes out to Wingnut and all of the SWAT crew. You guys are all amazing and I look forward to seeing you guys each year. Thanks again and see you on the sand!!!

Arthur my friend....We did it again!

Keeping Dana's legacy alive really isn't that hard because it comes from the heart. I was worried about the location as far as the fishing goes but you reminded me that these events are really NOT about the fishing aspect but rather about the FAMILY on the sand aspect of things. I'm glad there was at least enough fish caught to sort out the trophy winners with a little needed additional twist at the end. I'm still sore today from all of the unpacking the event stuff...packing my car and then doing it all in reverse...LOL. 13 hours for me from beginning to end but it was worth it.
    A big congrats to the event winners and a sincere thank you to all of the folks who really made this event awesome. Nothing but smiles all of the way around for sure.
    See you all next year!

Mike aka Lt. Bones

Awesome time like always, HUGE Thanks to Arthur and the whole SWAT team! big UPS!!!!!

congrats to all the winners!!!

I got the skunk too but redemption is awesome so cant wait for the next one!!!

very cool vid PerchinDave!

Tony G

Another hunting giants in the books.
    Once again, it was all smiles everywhere I looked and I couldnt have asked for more.
    The food was great, the LC competition is always fun, the raffle is amazing every year, the fishing was "Ok" but above all, its the unity of friends and family that makes this event the best it could be.
    I love being able to unite with old friends and meet new ones every year, and the fact that we have multiple families tell me "thank you guys for having this every year or thanks for all of your help" is sooooo satisfying because this lets us know we're doing something right and we couldnt be happier.
    SWAT, once again, awesome frikin job guys. Let's keep Dana's vision goin' every year!
    Arthur, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! For everything that you do. I'm sure I'm speaking on behalf of everyone in SWAT when I say, you are one of a kind and we are all blessed to have someone like you in our lives. Great job once again commander.
    Lets do it again next year!

Cool video Dave!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast