Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yellowstone National Park - 2015

1. Default

Great photos, beautiful scenery, thanks for sharing

Very nice pictorial of Yellowstone......beautiful pics of native yellowstone cutthroats.....always makes me want to go there....

Another incredible Yellowstone report! As soon as my girls are off to college and there's no more "family vacations", this is definitely what I'm doing for two weeks. I should print out these reports just in case FNN isn't around in 2023!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    "Oh man, South Fork is such a quality fishery, I highly recommend it right now, plus it's real scenic..." said the scraggly haired kid at the fly shop.

I hooked and landed 6 more before I started to think the fly shop kid had pulled a fast one on me and was probably laughing with his buddies, as he was successful sending another tourist on another whitefish expedition.
    They definitely do this! Happened to me in the Adirondacks a while back, asked the guys at the fly shop for some good areas to try, they sent us off to a very pretty area, with nothing but thin, dead water. They don't care since they size you up as a tourist and know you won't be back anyway.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I have a few more pics that I didn't include:

Quote Originally Posted by shinbob View Post
    Another incredible Yellowstone report! As soon as my girls are off to college and there's no more "family vacations", this is definitely what I'm doing for two weeks. I should print out these reports just in case FNN isn't around in 2023!
    Hopefully the super volcano hasn't blown! (Then again, we'd have other things to worry about if the super volcano under Yellowstone does blow)

They definitely do this! Happened to me in the Adirondacks a while back, asked the guys at the fly shop for some good areas to try, they sent us off to a very pretty area, with nothing but thin, dead water. They don't care since they size you up as a tourist and know you won't be back anyway.
    I was kinda laughing, considering I was still hooking fish, just not the right kind. Apparently I needed to be closer to the inlet since the browns hadn't traveled up that far yet. It's difficult learning a completely new concept: moving water

In Southern California, we have like 2 streams. None flow into a lake, and at least in So Cal, I don't know of any consistent populations of fish that move into these tributaries to spawn. Finding water with resident fish, versus fishing an area that has migratory fish is something I've never had to do, and at least this little side adventure assisted in me in trying to understand that concept.

And I always take any type of advice I receive at fly shops like a grain of salt. Much like walking into a local shop here, all I really cared about was water conditions, clarity and any hatches that may be coming off. Once I get on the water, the fly shop gossip gets erased from my head.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Apparently I needed to be closer to the inlet since the browns hadn't traveled up that far yet.
    Brown trout would be great, but I would be super happy with just the cutts. By far my favorite trout, not just because they're native (not just wild), but also for their willingness to rise to a dry. Many fond memories of fishing westslope cutts in Alberta, can't wait to go back.

Brown trout would be great, but I would be super happy with just the cutts. By far my favorite trout, not just because they're native (not just wild), but also for their willingness to rise to a dry. Many fond memories of fishing westslope cutts in Alberta, can't wait to go back.
    Those Yellowstone Cutthroat are very angler friendly, I have to agree. Theyre so methodical with their approach to your fly that it gets the adrenaline running. But, Hebgen only has rainbows and browns. I think the first watershed to have Cutts is the Yellowstone.

Most of the reason I stay in the northeast is because of those Cutts. Last year, I got hooked on those fish, no pun intended.

Random fact! I didnt catch ONE fish on the dry this trip. Had a few looks but not one fish came on the dry.

Great pictures. Wow! What an awseome yearly pilgrimage.

Awesome trip! Fantastic report! It should be published somewhere. Congrats!

All around AWESOME!!!!!

Tony G

Makes me want to load up the truck and head east...............young man. I don't usually use this term but it suffices here...breathe taking photos.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast