Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Rod recommendation for rock fish

Default Rod recommendation for rock fish

I have a PENN 545GS and want to use it for Rock Fishing the Channel Islands and wondering what rod would match it? Or even if it is good for rock fish, I also have a PENN 500 Jig Master too that I have used before.

I have a seeker 675 that I like for a 30# setup. If your only going to use it for rock fishing almost any 6-8 medium to heavy 15-50# rated rod will work. Keep in mind that you might use a 16 or even 20ounce sinker so you don't want a light tip. I would fish that reel with 50#-55# braid and have a 20, 25 or 30# leader depending on conditions. If I was you I wouldn't get a $200-$300 rod until you know what's comfortable to you. Remember when your rock fishing It's more about wieght than action, can be a lot of work crankin up a 25-30# lingcod or a big halibut. Have fun.

Short and stiff. No need to spend much money, even a old trolling rod will work.
    It's like winding up a large rubber boot full of water.
    I used a old school rail plate last winter. Works excellent for deep drops. You can crank that reel very fast and not worry about the rod rolling back and forth. I have no idea why nobody doesn't use them anymore. Rail plates kickass.
    DR

thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    Short and stiff. No need to spend much money, even a old trolling rod will work.
    It's like winding up a large rubber boot full of water.
    I used a old school rail plate last winter. Works excellent for deep drops. You can crank that reel very fast and not worry about the rod rolling back and forth. I have no idea why nobody doesn't use them anymore. Rail plates kickass.
    DR
    HAHA its funny that you say this because Ive thought about bringing my rail plates but always felt like people would look at me weird lol

Quote Originally Posted by simijab View Post
    HAHA its funny that you say this because Ive thought about bringing my rail plates but always felt like people would look at me weird lol
    Bring em. So much easier and faster to reel up.
    When they see how good they work they think about buying one.

Used circle hooks last winter. Had good numbers compared to some other guys. Used 2 hooks.

I use an offshore angler sea lion. I think that's what it's called. It was 30$ at bass pro. It's a broom stick. Perfect for rock fishing. There's no need for. Cal star or seeker rod for rockfish. Cheap broomsticks are fine for rockfish. Not so much for other fish

ya the little mini rod plates make it so easy and nobody really notices it's there. nothing beats a rainy day with friends tying
    bucktails , but what can we fish now 300 feet? every year it gets shallower. pretty soon we'll be advising newbees
    to get a trout rod rated for 4 pound. but then that might be the hot ticket...