Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Father and daughter time

Default Father and daughter time

Well after 5 years of fresh water fishing I finally jumped onto the saltwater scene.
    With the spectacular bite I kept hearing about, I couldn’t resist it any longer.

Trip 1:
    I took the day off on September 4th because Marissa my daughter was off from school so
    after some contemplating I booked a half day light load out of Davey’s locker on the Western Pride.
    I figured the light load will help us as beginners. We got there rented the rigs and were off.
    After a very short cruise a big yellowtail is on the deck, with a wide open bite on the Calico Bass.
    The count for the day was 36 Yellowtail with some bass, bonitos, and barracudas mixed in.
    And these were pretty decent yellows about 20 lb. average.
    We just managed a few bass and a yellowtail was given to us by a generous gentleman.
    A complement to the crew they were very helpful.
    We were very happy of our half day trip, and left thinking of a ¾ day with personal gear.

Trip 2:
    After the last trip I went out and bought myself a new rig, A Daiwa Metaloid on a Teramar.
    Marissa was off again on the 14th so we went out on for a ¾ on the Triton.
    As for Marissa’s gear I had an old spinning set up I had for catfish that actually was an inshore rig.
    We picked up and made some very good bait, and off we head to Catalina.
    We took a nap and woke up at about 9 just arriving at Catalina, nice weather with a bit of a current.
    At the first stop nothing was had, the second stop I think there may have been two YT taken.
    Moving on to the third spot, a guy that was trolling picks up two yellowtails.
    At this spot everyone starts getting hit by Bonitos and a few more YT in the mix.
    We both ended up picking up a few of those bones ourselves and learned a few more things.
    On the way back in the Capitan find a paddy and some of the guys picked up a couple of dorados and some tuna.
    The crew on this boat was very good hats off to them.
    Total count was approximately 15 YT, 4 Dorado, 2 YFT and some bass.
    Our count was Marissa 4 bones and I had 3. We also got a new target “Dorado”.

Trip 3: ( yes she got another day off school )
    Having read etuckers tip a on a previous thread a while back we went off to Helgren’s Oceanside.
    We got on a ¾ on the Sea Treck. On the way to the fishing, grounds we past a very large pod of dolphins that was a delight to see.
    They were not feeding so we moved on.
    It’s about 9:30 or so when the Capitan says bring in the trolling lines. As they are being brought in a woman brings in a nice Dorado.
    Then all hell broke loose!!! I’m not kidding, open bite on SJT, YFT, and a few Dorados for about an hour and a half or two.
    When it’s all said and done the boat count was 4 Dorado, 120 SJT, and 80 YFT.
    We brought in 3 YFT, and 4 SJT along with a lot of lost fish due to the learning in process.
    Marissa even got her rod snapped by a fish. Guess I have to buy more stuff.
    We were headed back a little after 11 due to the carnage and we were out of bait.
    This crew was good as well, a little rougher around the edges but good.

Right after I’m done with this write up I’m going to look to see when she has another day off.
    Thanks for the reports and tips etucker!!
    Thanks for reading
    See yall @ HG

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	47050

thats great you got to take your daughter. nothing compared to a wide open tuna bite. now i'm sure you are totally hooked lol. i primarily use 30 lb with 40 lb floro leader on most of my trips. but when the tuna go crazy, they'll bite the heavy string too.as the bite slows, go to lighter line. i wouldnt go below 20lb till you get more experience. great report.

Quote Originally Posted by manuel149 View Post
    Well after 5 years of fresh water fishing I finally jumped onto the saltwater scene.
    With the spectacular bite I kept hearing about, I couldn’t resist it any longer.

Trip 1:
    I took the day off on September 4th because Marissa my daughter was off from school so
    after some contemplating I booked a half day light load out of Davey’s locker on the Western Pride.
    I figured the light load will help us as beginners. We got there rented the rigs and were off.
    After a very short cruise a big yellowtail is on the deck, with a wide open bite on the Calico Bass.
    The count for the day was 36 Yellowtail with some bass, bonitos, and barracudas mixed in.
    And these were pretty decent yellows about 20 lb. average.
    We just managed a few bass and a yellowtail was given to us by a generous gentleman.
    A complement to the crew they were very helpful.
    We were very happy of our half day trip, and left thinking of a ¾ day with personal gear.

Trip 2:
    After the last trip I went out and bought myself a new rig, A Daiwa Metaloid on a Teramar.
    Marissa was off again on the 14th so we went out on for a ¾ on the Triton.
    As for Marissa’s gear I had an old spinning set up I had for catfish that actually was an inshore rig.
    We picked up and made some very good bait, and off we head to Catalina.
    We took a nap and woke up at about 9 just arriving at Catalina, nice weather with a bit of a current.
    At the first stop nothing was had, the second stop I think there may have been two YT taken.
    Moving on to the third spot, a guy that was trolling picks up two yellowtails.
    At this spot everyone starts getting hit by Bonitos and a few more YT in the mix.
    We both ended up picking up a few of those bones ourselves and learned a few more things.
    On the way back in the Capitan find a paddy and some of the guys picked up a couple of dorados and some tuna.
    The crew on this boat was very good hats off to them.
    Total count was approximately 15 YT, 4 Dorado, 2 YFT and some bass.
    Our count was Marissa 4 bones and I had 3. We also got a new target “Dorado”.

Trip 3: ( yes she got another day off school )
    Having read etuckers tip a on a previous thread a while back we went off to Helgren’s Oceanside.
    We got on a ¾ on the Sea Treck. On the way to the fishing, grounds we past a very large pod of dolphins that was a delight to see.
    They were not feeding so we moved on.
    It’s about 9:30 or so when the Capitan says bring in the trolling lines. As they are being brought in a woman brings in a nice Dorado.
    Then all hell broke loose!!! I’m not kidding, open bite on SJT, YFT, and a few Dorados for about an hour and a half or two.
    When it’s all said and done the boat count was 4 Dorado, 120 SJT, and 80 YFT.
    We brought in 3 YFT, and 4 SJT along with a lot of lost fish due to the learning in process.
    Marissa even got her rod snapped by a fish. Guess I have to buy more stuff.
    We were headed back a little after 11 due to the carnage and we were out of bait.
    This crew was good as well, a little rougher around the edges but good.

Right after I’m done with this write up I’m going to look to see when she has another day off.
    Thanks for the reports and tips etucker!!
    Thanks for reading
    See yall @ HG

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	47050
    I'm so glad you got them!!!! We are going to try for some Yellowtail tomorrow!!!!!!

Nice going Pops,that's awesome having your daughter as your fishing partner,sounds like she's learning a lot very quickly,keep making those memoiries as they grow up fast!

Cya Tuna Vic

Very nice Manuel.
    Look forward to seeing the both of you next week.
    Robert
    <><

Great job getting into the SW scene with your kid.