Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 19 Sept Solo - Finally a screamer! The stripe is off!

Default 19 Sept Solo - Finally a screamer! The stripe is off!

Been skunked for a couple of weekends now. It has been slow, likely because of the water temps. Decided to give it a shot again yesterday, anticipating the rush of a drag pulling surf monster. Got to my AO around 4:30 PM. Tide has transitioned to low. Brought two combos with me. Threw a mack head and a mack tail. My offshore tuna casting rod with the mack tail kept getting hits. About an hour later, I checked it and the tail was pretty much just skin and bones. Decided to try half a fillet of the center body of a mack and threw it out. After a about 20 minutes, something finally inhaled the fillet and took off like a freight train. Kept adjusting the drag as the monster just kept dumping line fast. At almost full drag I finally slowed it down. Then the battle begun. That offshore PE3-6 tuna casting rod was at uber bendo. Friggin awesome rod, so easy on the body compared to my Daiwa Sealine. As I was taking line back, I could feel the monster giving some burst of strong pulls. Trying to take it easy as I was afraid my 50LB copolymer topshot might reach its breaking point. At the same time I kept keeping an eye on my other rod hooked to the mack head that's still soaking. Last thing I wanted was for another surf monster to take the bait, and I'll be in trouble! Finally I got the nice batray to the beach. That batray was fat and heavy! Unhooked and released it! The sun was setting, decided to pack up and call it quits. Stoked to finally get the stripe off my back.

Video of the bat fight! https://youtu.be/kal0N2UOV4U

Fish-On!

HaHa nice skunk busting bat WTG!!!! Thank for telling us about it

Nick

Wow that is a "thick" one! WTG

Cya Tuna Vic

Nice one Fish-on. I know that feeling of finally get that skunk off and your perseverance paid off.

-Peter

Hi ya Fish-On!,

Beautiful Batray Sir! Thick!!

Congratulations on finally beaching your skunk buster after a long battle Sir!

Thanx for the fish report with pic!

SP Dan <"))><

Thanks bros! Will go for another round this week, hopefully I hook up another fatty.

Awesome catch. Rays pull hard. Love to hook them at Two Harbors off the rocks. The really big boys you can't turn, they just spool you into the moored yachts.

When in Doubt....Get the Bait Rod OUT and hang on!

Nice vid !!! Gotta always love the scream of a drag system.....Good job on the mud marlin brotha!

Nice fat bat!!!! Beats that stripe by a long shot!

Don

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    When in Doubt....Get the Bait Rod OUT and hang on!

Nice vid !!! Gotta always love the scream of a drag system.....Good job on the mud marlin brotha!
    X2, congrats and WTG! Watching the video makes me want to dust off the long rods
    Last edited by vdisney; 09-25-2015 at 06:35 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast