Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: 3rd attempt and 3rd skunk.

Default 3rd attempt and 3rd skunk.

Newbie to surf fishing here. Been doing lots of reading and studying over past few months and have gone out three times so far. No luck at any of the spots Ive tried.
    Tried Newport Beach by the entrance. Tried Santa Ana Rkver mouth and saw a lot of mullet and smelt but the only halibut I saw was in the Protected Marsh on the other side of the fence. Then today I fished Crystal Cove for a bit. Saw some fish and even saw fish jumping out of the water but every cast all I was bringing in was kelp. Tried fishing for perch and anything else in the surf but nothing. Idk if I should be trying the LA beaches or if I just suck so bad the fish dont even want to bite my lures
    Anyone have any advice or good areas in OC or Long Beach/Seal beach they would like to share would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Number1topgun View Post
    ...or if I just suck so bad the fish dont even want to bite my lures
    Anyone have any advice or good areas in OC or Long Beach/Seal beach they would like to share would be appreciated...
    Thanks!
    Hi Number1topgun:

First of all don't get discouraged. Getting better/improving at something like surf fishing is both a matter of putting in the time and effort. You've started and for that I commend you Keep going out regularly. That way you will grow in your abilities with using your surf rig and in learning the beach with its personalities. One of the pleasures of surf fishing is the privilege of being out on the sand and enjoying the beauty of creation - you got to do that already - so your a winner in my book

I'm glad you posted your report and asked questions. There are great guys on this forum whom I know will give you advice perhaps even a PM just for you. One avenue to explore is talking to your local tackle shop and asking them for guidance. If they are worth their salt, they should be happy to steer you right.

So do not lose heart my friend and you might want to consider joining up with a whole bunch of great folks (new to old salts) Saturday October 3 for the Hunting Giants surf fishing event (click on the sticky link at the top of this forum).

Best of luck to you on your journey my friend,

Nick

This year the summer fishing has been way off with the skyrocketed water temps. Even typical summer species like corbina and halibut have slid out to cooler regions. Don't get discouraged by any means. Wait until the shorter days and northern swell pattern arrives and we should see a decline in water temps albeit probably not as much as they would typically drop due to the El Nino situation. There will definitely be a window of opportunity to put some fish on the sand. When and what species is kind of up in the air right now. Like Nick said....Join us on the sand on Oct 3rd and one thing for sure is that you will meet a lot of nice folks and eat some great food. There will be a lot of good fish stories I'm sure and who knows...Maybe there will be some fish caught. You might want to do the bait and wait thing for now in some deeper water just to offer a simple tip.

Hi ya Number1topgun,

Patience and determination for now, until you get a few seasons under your belt and a few fish on the sand.
    All in due time Sir.

Meanwhile ... look for clean, weed free water and the cast your heart out! It's worth a try.

Thanx for the session report!

SP Dan <"))><

PS .... follow the advice of the two SWAT guys ahead of me! I do!

Thank you all for the kind words of encouragement. Just a few quick questions. How far out would you estimate I should be casting? Sometimes I feel like im not getting it out far enough for the halibut. Also should I just look for flat sandy beaches or rocks and cover? Im going to wait a few weeks and try my luck again around Newport or maybe try the Seal Beach area. Thanks again for all the advice and help.
    Last edited by Number1topgun; 09-21-2015 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Number1topgun View Post
    ...How far out would you estimate I should be casting? Sometimes I feel like im not getting it out far enough for the halibut.
    Just cast comfortably. No need to throw your elbow out Halibut are ambush predators looking for the easy meal. So look for structure and you eventually will find em' (near rocks, trenches anyplace they can just hang out) Don't think "deep", think "lazy" cuz one might be right there just yards from your wet tootsies in the hole in front of you