Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Dana Point 9/12/15

Default Dana Point 9/12/15

Yesterday Ghettobasster and I hit Dana, my first trip there, for bonita and yellowtail. We paddled out of the harbor went a little to the left, where left? I don't know since I don't own a gps and didn't bother to pull up my phone . We jigged for a half hour making some greenies with little difficulty. They ranged anywhere from 8-12", perfect size IMO. The secret bait was spoiled yellowtail skins I had leftover from a yellowtail given to me by an uncle.

After making bait we paddled out to what I can only assume was 50'+ water and began to troll. About 30 min into the troll my larger mac was slammed, thinking it was yellow I excitedly allowed the fish to run when the line slacked off and then picked up again. Initially I thought it was a dog but later found bonita bite marks on the greenie. Poor fish. We trolled some more until I gave up and paddle towards the kelp to kill the skunk with calicos. Calicos I did not catch but I managed a barely legal cuda on the UFO jig.

A while after I met up with my buddy and again hooked up instantly on the UFO while casting at a kelp paddy. It was a bonita which came unbuttoned as a result of me horsing in the fish. Fortunately, I managed to nail one on a slow trolled dead mac. Them bones sure do pull hard.

Later in the day GB finally manged a bone on the colt sniper and a few more, plus a cuda on the kroc.

On the water at 0745 and off by 1400. Overall it was a fun and successful trip in my book and an awesome first time at Dana.

Overcast days sure are great.

Wow, that is some really good looking water. Heck of a first time out there. Sorry you didn't get into the targeting species but there is always that chance anywhere up and down the coast this year. Keep it up and you'll get I to that sleigh ride soon enough!

Don

Thanks for the great day IF2L. I can't wait to paddle out there again. You didn't mention my skunk breaker - a pissed off cormorant while trolling a dead mac. Poor guy had 3 Hooks in him. I managed to get them out without getting a sharp beak to the eye and sent him on his way.

Looked like a very nice day on the water Bryan.
    Glad you and GB found something to play with.
    Robert
    <><

Hi ifshtoolittle:

WTG on getting out there. Great pictures and great report too. You and GhettoBasster are getting experience and it's guns payoff big and soon I predict!.

Keep at it and keep the progress reports coming

Thanks Anchor! It was way too much fun.

Hi ya Ifishtoolittle,

Thanx for the fish report w/ pic's of your catch!
    I luv those Dana Point waters. And I'm stoked that you had a good first yak session!

keep up the the efforts IF2L and keep them reports a cumin'!

SP Dan <"))><

Quote Originally Posted by bachiboy View Post
    Wow, that is some really good looking water. Heck of a first time out there. Sorry you didn't get into the targeting species but there is always that chance anywhere up and down the coast this year. Keep it up and you'll get I to that sleigh ride soon enough!

Don
    Thanks Don. Although I didn't get the good stuff the bonita made for more than enough entertainment. I just love the sound of the bait clicker going off when they take the bait.

Quote Originally Posted by GhettoBasster View Post
    Thanks for the great day IF2L. I can't wait to paddle out there again. You didn't mention my skunk breaker - a pissed off cormorant while trolling a dead mac. Poor guy had 3 Hooks in him. I managed to get them out without getting a sharp beak to the eye and sent him on his way.
    Sure was fun. Let's see if we can manage a yellow before the season ends.

Quote Originally Posted by anchor3n1 View Post
    Hi ifshtoolittle:

WTG on getting out there. Great pictures and great report too. You and GhettoBasster are getting experience and it's guns payoff big and soon I predict!.

Keep at it and keep the progress reports coming
    Thanks! I'll try lol but no guarantees.

Quote Originally Posted by SP Dan View Post
    Hi ya Ifishtoolittle,

Thanx for the fish report w/ pic's of your catch!
    I luv those Dana Point waters. And I'm stoked that you had a good first yak session!

keep up the the efforts IF2L and keep them reports a cumin'!

SP Dan <"))><
    Thanks SP Dan. While Dana is a little more of a drive for me there's a heck of a lot less boat traffic than compared to NPH. It was fun day too even though the fish never showed.