Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rpt.-09-03-15 The Ducky Roars Again!

Default Rpt.-09-03-15 The Ducky Roars Again!

Having been skunked on my last two private boater outings, I was due for a change of results. Although Lal has not been skunked this year his last few trips were also disappointing. It was time to get the job done and we did!

So I went fishing Thursday, 9-03-15, with Lal on his 18’ boat the “Rubber Ducky”. We launched out of Oceanside at 4:30 am, meaning we left Lal’s house in Cerritos at 3am, and I was up at 2am in order to get to Lal’s house at that early hour.

We picked up one of best scoops of bait all year, 4 to 5” slimy green Sardines and a bunch of Mini-Macs in the 6 to 8 inch size, too cool!

Our beginning destination was the 182 Bank looking for Tuna and Dorado. Since it was so early, and grey light wasn’t expected until after 6am, we could coast out at about 15 knots. The weather was ideal, not quite grease conditions, however, very close. At 7am we were 21 miles out and Lal spotted a Garage size Kelp Paddy off our Starboard side.

The Paddy held three birds and we could see small boils, as we slowly approached within 50 feet. Both of our baits were instantly bit and we both reeled in 3 to 4 pound Yellowtail, which were released. We repeated this once more before Lal hooked up to a bigger model and I was absolutely hammered, watching my line fly across the stern at almost Wahoo speed. Lal claimed it had to be a Do Do, I had no idea? No matter what it was, it was pulling hard, as was Lal’s hooked fish.

Shortly thereafter Lal landed about a 20 pound Yellowfin Tuna, while I was bent good on my fish. Looking at deep color, it was definitely another Yellowfin Tuna. A couple minutes later, after it finally decided to go into the Tuna death circle, and pulled hard until I pumped him to the surface, then Lal stuck another nice 20 pound Yellowfin Tuna.

Game on, as we chunked bait and had boils everywhere. I was using 30 pound and Lal 25 and after our third Tuna each we both upped the ante. Lal threw out 40 pound and I used 50 pound and we both continued to get hammered. Always fun gaffing your own fish!

We had drifted off the Paddy some three hundred yards before experiencing a slowdown in bites. No matter, we slowed trolled back to the paddy and both got bit before reaching 100 yards inside of it. We lost count of how many we had landed, however Lal Hollered the kill bag is full and you need to release your next fish! How cool?

We got on the radio and called out the numbers, as we were done, not soon after a couple of boats appeared, unfortunately the bite had died, although Lal and I both released a couple more Tuna and plenty of small Yellowtail before calling it. A few of the boats that arrived caught some Tuna, so we were glad we called them in.

Some pictures on the water:

We were hoping to find a Paddy holding Do Do’s on our way back to Oceanside Harbor. It was not to be, so not quite the perfect day, however, extremely close!

Water temps were 71.3, where the Paddy was found, and the water was a clean purple blue. We zig zagged back to the harbor finding only a few empty Kelp Paddies. The wind was at about ten knots and the seas were relatively flat, providing a very pleasant ride back to the harbor by 10:30 am. Never been on a Tuna trip that ended this early unless we were blown off the water!

At the dock, the DFG helpers weighed our largest Tuna, bled out at 32 pounds, and one other average Tuna weighed 23 pounds.

With a full Kill bag we needed more ice to keep the Tuna in pristine condition until we returned to Lal’s house. So we stopped at the Mobil Gas station. The traffic home was as expected, light and we arrived in Cerritos after high noon. 2.5 hours later, after cleaning a very bloody boat and slabbing the Tuna, we were exhausted.

Some more pictures of the thirteen Tuna we kept, of which neither one of us knew how many were in the kill bag?

Thanks Lal, we got the job done this time, wow, what a day! Can’t wait until our next adventure together.

Hook up! Cory

Great read and pics. Yikes 21 miles out in an inflatable, your huevos are significantly bigger than mine. Your adventures are always a great read and you have certainly been dialed in on the fish this season. Best wishes for continued great sucess I am humbled and in awe.

awesome report cory...glad you guys killed it.

way to turn it around tunaslam, to the dock by 10:30 AMAZING

Nice going Cory. Glad to see you got them this time. You made up for the last couple of trips and then some!

Golden Paddy ! You guys did great. Congrats.
    DR

Very nice haul on The Rubber Ducky!
    I've been asked out 4 times in the last week, and because of a pulled back muscle, wasn't able to make it.
    At least with this report, I know they are still out there in good numbers.
    Thanks for the report Cory.

Robert
    <><
    Last edited by murrieta angler; 09-04-2015 at 12:27 PM. Reason: spelling

Very nice score Cory! That's one of them magic paddy's that make up for the previous stripes in spades.

Congrats on a great trip!!!
    Don

Nice going Cory,Lal,we knew it was just a matter of one or two more outings before a report like that was going to be posted,very cool,you two are quite the team,Wtg guys,awesome pics also,thanks!

Cya Tuna Vic

WOW!,,,,,I'm drooling so bad right now!,,LOL

21 miles out on a balloon ,,LOL I LOVE IT!

I'm inspired BIGTIME.

You guys killd it WTG

TRAIL BLAZER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast