Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DFW's answer as to why there have been no catfish stockings Locally (LA/OC)

There are big cats in Laguna lake. Lots of them too. Laguna is different than other park lakes.. in addition to bubblers, they also have water jets that produce a strong current- which channel catfish thrive in. While they can still breed in the other lakes without the jets, the current helps the eggs survive better, and the deep cover and abundant rockpiles give them more shelter to brood in. The bad part about laguna is they'll lock you into the park if you ignore them when they tell you it's closing time, and you'll have to hop the fence, or crawl through the hole in the fence.

Which are are the cats at, by the dam or near the big open back area? Thanks man
    Quote Originally Posted by smokehound View Post
    There are big cats in Laguna lake. Lots of them too. Laguna is different than other park lakes.. in addition to bubblers, they also have water jets that produce a strong current- which channel catfish thrive in. While they can still breed in the other lakes without the jets, the current helps the eggs survive better, and the deep cover and abundant rockpiles give them more shelter to brood in. The bad part about laguna is they'll lock you into the park if you ignore them when they tell you it's closing time, and you'll have to hop the fence, or crawl through the hole in the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by georatm2011 View Post
    Which are are the cats at, by the dam or near the big open back area? Thanks man
    I'll see if Smokehound cares to recommend any particular spots, actually there is quite a few that hold catfish. But I will say this, "you can't go wrong fishing shrimp on the bottom there." Also these things really turn on at night, unfortunately you don't get a whole lot of time to fish after the sun goes down before they kick you out!!!!

I dont feel too comfortable sharing the best spots publicly PM me and I'll share.. large roving bands of poachers work that lake hard tossing out live bluegill, fortunately they don't understand the lake well at all.

That lake isn't that big so it'll be pretty easy and quick to find where the hot spots are for the kitties. Agree with smokehound, bunch of poachers, used to fish there a lot for trout. 1 year had it dialed in for catching trout. Basically every cast resulted in a fish. Locals got mad and all but funny part was that everything was released and I even offered what I was using to them but they refused lol.

If you were interested in fishing right before dark and into the night. I'll give you my best spot in the lake. (just pm me!!!)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123