Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: How is fishing on Lake O'Neill at Camp Pendleton?

Default How is fishing on Lake O'Neill at Camp Pendleton?

Has anyone fished Lake O'Neill at Camp Pendleton recently? I'm camping there this weekend with the family and taking my kayak out to do some fishing. I've never fished at this lake so hopefully someone has some recent news about the fishing on this lake.

Used to be very good. Don't know now.
    FYI, unless you are active service, I believe you need a base permit to fish there.

I'm retired Navy so no problem with the base permit. I haven't been able to find much of anything anywhere online about the fishing so I'm hoping i can catch something.

I had a good time with the family and some good fishing at Lake O'Neill over the Labor Day weekend. The campground was full and the weather was great. I caught 4 largemouth bass and lost two in a thirty minute period fishing Monday morning before we left for home. I snagged into something large when I was in my yak but I didn't loosen the drag and after about three minutes fighting my line snapped.

If you do go fish at this lake you will need to go to the game Warden's office which about a mile away from the lake and pay $10 for a base fishing permit which is good for the duration of your California fishing license.

Is a quarter of the lake still covered with Lilly pads?