Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: SWAT Navy: My first YT

Default SWAT Navy: My first YT

I've had my kayak for about a year and a half now. I haven't posted any reports since most of the fish I've caught don't seem worthy enough. I've caught many legal calicos and best catches were 23inch halibuts and nothing larger. Toadstoadsonly (Jonathan) and our buddy Jim have been mentoring and guiding me on how to kayak fish. It is a whole different level of dedication trying to kayak fish and I am glad I got into it. Well, I won't delve into how much preparation and effort it is to fish off a kayak and get into the report.

After doing lots of research and asking many questions, I decided it was time to go down south. I went with my buddy Raney, who just got into kayak fishing, to show him how to launch and land in the surf. La jolla is a cake walk considering how small the surf is there. I've flipped launching and landing before and it is no fun when it happens. Anyways, we launched and tried to make bait the whole morning. It took us 2-3 hours to just make 5 macks.. 4 of which I made

We each trolled a mackeral and I tell Raney, "Hey, I'm going to get hooked up on this paddy before you do on the other paddy." I was only joking around with him since we both were kind of down due to having a little amount of bait. About one second later, my rod goes off Raney comes over to be ready to help. I tell him the fish is fighting kind of funny. I could tell it was big and heavy but the rod would bounce irregularly. I then realized the fish is tail wrapped . I was close to bringing it up to the leader but still no color yet and then pop...

I threw on another mack and trolled towards deeper water. This time I pass by another yakker who I spoke with from another forum. As I was talking to him to see if he caught any, my rod goes off and I tell him he must be my good luck charm . He keeps his line from tangling with mine like a pro as my fish starts towing me in all directions. I'm praying this fish doesn't pop off and I finally bring it to color. Target fish is on and I gaff it and clip it on. Success!!

My first yellowtail ever and off my kayak! Hard work does pay off and I won't forget this moment. Unfortunately, Raney couldn't pick up any YT's but he was as excited as me seeing that fish come up. Thanks for the support and you will get yours one day.

Raney going for a sleigh ride from a hammerhead from a previous session

I hope to see you all at the Hunting Giants 7 event. Check out the surf,bay, pier reports section for more details. It's a great community event that many dedicate their hard work and time into.
    Last edited by PTN; 08-29-2015 at 11:43 AM.

Thumbs up

Well, it's about time! Nice job on your first Yellowtail and the first notable catch on your kayak. Too bad you didn't land that Thresher a little while back.
    Now let's see if Raney can get a good return on "his" investment. LOL

See you guys at HG7!

Congrat's on your Yellowtail!

Did you follow the tradition of eating it's heart for good mojo in future?!

I really like the yak that Raney is cruising around in!

Peter ... what year and model PA are you skippering!

SP Dan <"))><