Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: rod & reel recommendations

Default rod & reel recommendations

Well I'm finally planning on getting out and getting my first ever yellowtail. I was just wondering what kind of set up (preferably spinning reel, I have very minimal experience with bait casters) do you guys recommend. Hopefully i can stay under 150 as I'm not going to be using the set up much. and also what line. I usually rent a rod and reel at the landings but i think i prefer to get my own instead of those crappy things they rent. Well i appreciate the help

I've had Yellowtail SMOKE my Calcutta 400 using 25# test.

The problem is, for a spinning reel to be able to handle what Yellows can do, you're going to have to get something that can withstand their line peeling runs, and I've seen lower end spinning reels implode.

I know Daiwa Opus and the DF100 may be able to handle that, and they both are within your budget. As far as rods go? I have no idea...perhaps picking up an Eliminator as a rod would get you under your budget.

Line? I wouldn't go under 25 pound test. If you don't mind spending a bit, try using braid with a flouro topshot as well.

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman951 View Post
    Well I'm finally planning on getting out and getting my first ever yellowtail. I was just wondering what kind of set up (preferably spinning reel, I have very minimal experience with bait casters) do you guys recommend. Hopefully i can stay under 150 as I'm not going to be using the set up much. and also what line. I usually rent a rod and reel at the landings but i think i prefer to get my own instead of those crappy things they rent. Well i appreciate the help
    you dont need to "cast" with a bait caster to catch yellows... also, you might as well invest in a setup that will last you 10 years. I would save a bit more and aim for 300-400 setup. There are plenty of good used setups on bd for around your range as well.
    For yellows, normally its just fly line or dropper loop a sardine, so no casting. If you really wanted to go after a iron bite, yes you need to practice casting, but you can't avoid it. Better learn sooner than later and really, its easy. Just need to tune the reel so you avoid the backlash.

I fish a penn fierce 5000 on a teramar spinning XXH rod for yellows. It does the job on the YT's up to 20lb (biggest so far on the set-up) not sure how it will handle on bigger fish.

but agree with flyhigh said, if you're going to invest in the set-up might as well invest in a bit more and keep the set-up instead of down the road, upgrading the set-up

just the thread i was looking for if anyone have anymore recommendations on reels keep them coming seems like everyone is out there killing it, i need to get on it too

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman951 View Post
    check out the quantum cabo spinning reel. They are about 210 for the size you'll probably want.

Size 60 or 80 should be good