Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Kern River Help

Default Kern River Help

Heading up to the Kern River for the Labor Day weekend, and will be staying at Camp James: http://www.campjames.net/

Hoping on doing a ton of fishing, but not going to lie, I'm pretty lost when it comes to that area. Last time I was there, I was just drifting salmon eggs with a splitshot down the river, and picked up a couple.

Does anyone have any idea how its been up there? Tips? Area's I should be hitting?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

hit up kennedy meadows a while back. lots of goldens (small) but fun catch and release on the barbless fly.
    all larger trout came only early morning and sundown on rooster tails and orange gulp 2" worms behind a bubble.
    beware of the water snakes in the tree roots on the banks! hope it helps...
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by coors View Post
    hit up kennedy meadows a while back. lots of goldens (small) but fun catch and release on the barbless fly.
    all larger trout came only early morning and sundown on rooster tails and orange gulp 2" worms behind a bubble.
    beware of the water snakes in the tree roots on the banks! hope it helps...
    Jim
    Jim,

How long ago did you hit up Kennedy Meadows? I hit up an area close to there about 3 months ago, and found trickling water, and a few stressed fish. I didn't even bother casting. I hiked about 1/2 a mile upstream and downstream to find some very bad water conditions, and then left to the South Fork of the Kern, which also was in terrible shape.

OP,

As far as the Kern, same thing...I'd recommend fishing as early as you can as the water temps and levels on the 20 mile section seem to be in rough shape again. The salmon eggs would be good, use the smallest split shot you can find. I don't even know if they're stocking that section anymore due to water temps and conditions. Camp James is right on the water, so drive up or down Sierra Highway and find pullouts. You might have to hike upstream or downstream a bit to get away from the plastic raft navy and the inner tube flotilla.

The area of the Kern you will be at is much different than Kennedy meadows. salmon eggs are always good, I like to use panther martins on the edges of eddies, roostertails or other long narrow spinners for fast water. don't spend too much time in one spot, I'll cover 3 miles of shoreline in in as many hours of fishing sometimes. the fish will stay in one spot for the most part so to catch a lot of fish you gotta keep moving.

other lure options: flies, super duppers or other small spoons, micro crankbaits.

I typically stick with the Panther Martins because they work in a wide range on conditions, the speed of the water will dictate what lures to use most of the time.

you can cast cross or even upstream in faster water to allow a lure that works better at slower speeds to run properly.

We were there in march or april, conditions weren't too bad but yes it was lower than usual
    but clean. you guys have the # for stockings? 855 887-1275 last i checked they still stocked
    that area...

Water is very, very low. Fishing ok for those who figure where the fish are holding. Because of very warm water temps, stocking has been curtailed at times. Needs lots of rain