Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KICKIN' BASS (an all-out enemy assault!!!) -------- SWAT style

Default KICKIN' BASS (an all-out enemy assault!!!) -------- SWAT style

I’m a private and a new recruit on the attack team. I’m enthusiastic and eager for action. Sometimes though this can be my downfall – patience and proper techniques are important for success on the battlefield. Fortunately the SWAT command knows this. So often I am paired with one of the senior team members in order to speed my training along and further educate me in the ancient art of war (fishing ).

For today’s field operation, I would be paired with the SWAT Lieutenant Mike code named “bones”. My code name is “anchor3n1”. This is my recollection of the events (a tongue-in-cheek report - I hope you enjoy it)
    !

"Secret operations are essential in war; upon them the army relies to make its every move."
    Sun Tzu - The Art of War

In order to overwhelm the enemy, secrecy is essential. We knew that that conditions were right. The tide, swell even the water temp were in our favor. So we met at our Area of operation (AO) at the standard zero dark thirty hoping to obtain the element of surprise.

Before we started the Lieutenant (I’ll call him bones from now on) handed me a new soldier in the secret color (an LC metallic Ayu) that has proven itself in battle (Thank you for the LC bones). I tied it on and then we started our long hike down to the battlefield (Location: classified – somewhere North of San Pedro).

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

As we walked the long path towards the battlefield, bones explained many things to me like, “change your hooks often” and “never start a session out with old knots. Always retie before engaging in battle”. Sound advice which I soaked up eagerly. It was then he noticed baitfish jumping as though chased by enemy combatants. We threw our soldiers at em’ and immediately hooked up – barracuda and smelt. We quickly moved on as they were not today’s target.

sorry bout the grainy pic - cuda with metallic ayu LC

The plan today was to use LCs. Slow roll and “dead stick” to engage with enemy calico bass who had invaded the territory.

“Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys.
    Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!” Sun Tzu - The Art of War

We finally arrived at the AO. Bones advised me to be bold and “fish like I stole it.” I soon started slinging my new soldier (LC) at the enemy stronghold with abandon. But after only four casts, I lost my soldier to a battlefield hazard – the dreaded mussel encrusted boiler rock. I mourned for the lost soldier if only for a moment (no time as the battle was soon to begin) then I tied another soldier (LC calico bass pattern) and wished him godspeed. This decision soon proved to be right.

Victory usually goes to the army who has better trained officers and men.
    Sun Tzu - The Art of War

At first things were tough, lots of weeds and boilers to contend with. And no enemy had yet showed himself. Soon though the enemy came out and attacked – the battle was on HOOYA! It was all-out calico action. Bones drew first blood…and second…and third before I got my first taste but then it started for me. It took precision and proper technique to capture the enemy. A constant retrieve would not get it done. Sticking to the slow retrieve - pause caused "them" calicos to attack with vengeance.

Ok so here is the morning tally:

Bones – 5 calicos
    Anchor3n1 – 8 calicos (one rat, 5 corporals/legals and 2 colonels/17-18” ers)

Notice the calico pattern LC

To be honest, I was pretty puffed-up thinking I had bested my trainer LT. Bones on the enemy count. So much so, that I suggested we go out again the same day for a sundowner assault. However, things turned out different. We chose a completely different AO for one. I arrived early and spent the first 30 minutes with only one grab but no hookup. Bones arrives and proceeded to put me in my place. First he lands a pancake, then a cuda. I’m sitting there watching this and my confidence from the morning is quickly disappearing. He lands something else and I’m sitting there thinking maybe I should just sit and watch the master show me how it’s done.

But bones, the gentlemen that he is, says, "hey here’s a swimbait to use I think this will work for ya". He ties it on for me (that was humbling). He was right cuz quickly I get bit and land my very first WSB (a shorty) RIGHT ON!!!

Now it’s just about dark and I suggest we change AOs. Bones is kinda sketchy and would rather call it but gives in to this here recruit’s wish. We arrive and it’s dark, we can’t see much, can’t tell where structure is, we fish anyways. We get nothing, not even a lil’ grab. “Do calicos feed at night”, I say? “Yes”, bones tells me. (I’m skeptical cuz we haven’t gotten a thing) Finally, I say lets go (I’m thinking this bites and I’m tired). That’s when the Lt. says, let's just randomly cast as we walk back to the cars." That’s when all heck breaks loose. I look over and bones is in full fight mode with a rod going major bendo and line peeling. We're thinking a big ole’ WSB.

The fish finally comes to sand and bones says what is it? It's so dark I have to run down to the fish to figure it out. It was a 2 foot fat calico bass.

The Lt. handed landed the enemy’s commanding general. Good job Lt.Bones. You captured the enemy’s leader and showed this recruit “what for”. I guess calicos do feed at night.

No longer will I ever question my superiors abilities nor their experience(not that I ever did actually ).

Last thoughts
    So I learned many things from my teacher that would benefit me much in future enemy engagements. I saw field justice as we captured, photographed and released enemy combatants, but most of all I learned humility when I am in the presence of my betters. For that I am grateful.

Bonus pics form earlier operations at another location a few days before:

lots of pelagic in the water chasing bait.

YFC can be found in the AM chasing the bait around.

Take care and good luck out there,

Nick
    Last edited by anchor3n1; 09-15-2019 at 06:15 PM.

that is crazy... nice work

Great debriefing there private! You have learned well Nick and are on your way to becoming a legend on the sand my friend. Your enthusiasm on the sand is in direct comparison to your approach to life. You are an amazing role model to your two daughters as well when it comes to overcoming the hardships that the man upstairs handed you. Keep up the outstanding work buddy and congrats on the news species from the sand and the PB checker too.

Take care and god bless,

Mike

Wow! Excellent write up Nick, You are Mike sure put the hurt on those calicos. Congrats on your PB calico Nick and first WSB! I'm glad to have met you. You are such an enthusatic fellow. Bones... i'm speechless. Two of the biggest surf checkers ive seen caught days apart. I can't wait to get my 24" +. Great report!

Hey Nick,

Wow .... what a write up!
    After reading your report ... I was ready to pick up my stix and join you at your side in the trenches!

Congratulations on landing your NS WSB! WTG!
    Sometimes ..... it's just a matter of time before things begin to happen ...
    Your patience and determination have definitely paid off for you this session. WTG!

I'm glad it happened to you my friend!

Not a bad job on all the Checkers neither!

Thanx for the fantastic read with pictures Nick!

SP Dan <"))><
    Last edited by SP Dan; 08-25-2015 at 09:17 PM. Reason: HUH??? SP :) Ha ha ha!

Very, very cool report Nick! Don't know why, but these checkers have been lazy and don't want to chase down a bait...gotta do that dead stick thang to get em to eat. Congrats on your PB checker and your first ghost! It's pretty amazing when you first get into that kind of bite. Glad you were able to experience that. Now that you're nice and "seasoned" up, go do it some more!!! Looking forward to your new PBs which are sure to be around the next corner!

Don

Great report, many congrats to you both

NICK-Congrats my friend , Beautiful write up , it was my pleasure to read. Nice healthy looking fish you guys stuck, you gotta love the calico tug ... its quite addicting.
    Mike-is THE MAN PERIOD. Nobody deserves those fish more than you my friend , your knowledge and noises in your tackle box always put you in the right place at the right time . Congrats !

Congratulations and very well deserved catches Nick!
    You've been putting in a lot of time. as of late, and it paid off.
    Good to see Mike getting out as well, as he hardly ever does...
    Now that you have them dialed in, keep at it and get that legal WSB.
    Thanks for sharing & God Bless,
    Robert
    <><

p.s. I bet the girls were excited for you...

Quote Originally Posted by City Dad View Post
    that is crazy... nice work

Thanks Tim

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    Great debriefing there private! You have learned well Nick and are on your way to becoming a legend on the sand my friend. Your enthusiasm on the sand is in direct comparison to your approach to life. You are an amazing role model to your two daughters as well when it comes to overcoming the hardships that the man upstairs handed you. Keep up the outstanding work buddy and congrats on the news species from the sand and the PB checker too.

Take care and god bless,

Mike
    Mike:

I sure enjoy hitting the sand with you. I always learn, laugh and leave longing for more (pretty good alliteration if I say so myself). The morning was fun but the evening was awesome watching the whole fight and beaching of that brute of a calico - way to go You have completely locked up the biggest calico division (make room on your mantel buddy). I am glad you are my friend and a friend to my family (you mean a lot to us).

Here's to more amazing catches from the surf for you, brother!!!!

God bless you,

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by surffishingsean View Post
    Wow! Excellent write up Nick, You are Mike sure put the hurt on those calicos. Congrats on your PB calico Nick and first WSB! I'm glad to have met you. You are such an enthusatic fellow. Bones... i'm speechless. Two of the biggest surf checkers ive seen caught days apart. I can't wait to get my 24" +. Great report!

Sean

Thank you bro! Hope to see you out there on the sand soon.

Keep up the nice catches,

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by SP Dan View Post
    Hey Nick,

Wow .... what a write up!
    After reading your report ... I was ready to pick up my stix and join you at your side in the trenches!

Congratulations on landing your NS WSB! WTG!
    Sometimes ..... it's just a matter of time before things begin to happen ...
    Your patience and determination have definitely paid off for you this
    Hi brother Dan:

Thank you! That's the point of this report - to get you back out there doing your usual - kicking butts (and calicos...and stripers...and WSBs...well you know what I mean) Your a great guy. I appreciate you (and so do so many others whose lives you touch)

I hope you make it out this weekend and I hope to see you soon brother.

Blessings to you,

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by bachiboy View Post
    Very, very cool report Nick! Don't know why, but these checkers have been lazy and don't want to chase down a bait...gotta do that dead stick thang to get em to eat. Congrats on your PB checker and your first ghost! It's pretty amazing when you first get into that kind of bite. Glad you were able to experience that. Now that you're nice and "seasoned" up, go do it some more!!! Looking forward to your new PBs which are sure to be around the next corner!

Don
    Hi Don:

Thank you Don for the nice words. I'm really just starting to get going but your continual encouragement and advice has really jump started things for me. I am having fun out there now because of your guidance. I am looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks at HG7 if not sooner for a sand session.

take care brother,

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by vdisney View Post
    Great report, many congrats to you both

Thanks Vern

take care,

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    NICK-Congrats my friend , Beautiful write up , it was my pleasure to read. Nice healthy looking fish you guys stuck, you gotta love the calico tug ... its quite addicting.
    Mike-is THE MAN PERIOD. Nobody deserves those fish more than you my friend , your knowledge and noises in your tackle box always put you in the right place at the right time . Congrats !
    Hi Edgar:

Thank you! Yes I agree. I am now officially addicted

Yup!!! bones is the fish whisperer (as my daughter Alexa says). He always gets his fish

Take care my friend,

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by murrieta angler View Post
    Congratulations and very well deserved catches Nick!
    You've been putting in a lot of time. as of late, and it paid off.
    Good to see Mike getting out as well, as he hardly ever does...
    Now that you have them dialed in, keep at it and get that legal WSB.
    Thanks for sharing & God Bless,
    Robert
    <><

p.s. I bet the girls were excited for you...
    Hi brother Robert:

Lots of days on the sand in the last few weeks (i'm loving it but getting tired out too with so much sand walking) I've been learning and growing a lot as as fisher dude. Mike has been a great friend to me and a mentor too. It's nice to have someone around whose older like Mike (actually he's only 4 days older than me)

I just saw your video and read about your tuna trip - that must have been awesome!!!!

We all can't wait to see you at HG7

Take care and God bless you,

Nick
    Last edited by anchor3n1; 08-26-2015 at 10:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast