Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Advice for gear - Part 2

Default Advice for gear - Part 2

Hi all,

So I've pretty much sorted myself out for a jerkbait setup from my other thread. I've either purchased the items or will be purchasing them in the next couple of days. Now I have a question about fishing with frogs and/or swimbaits. This will more than likely be more noob questions, so I apologize in advance.

I've done some research and have come to the conclusion that I would eventually like to try fishing with frogs and/or swimbaits on a baitcasting reel. Now that I have my other setup all sorted out, I wanted to start looking at and saving for one more. I have seen some rods that are supposed to be designed for certain applications and a few of them do state they are designed for both frogs and swimbaits. My question for a swimbait, especially for something like a 6" Huddleston or a 68 Special or a 68 Weedless is can you use the same setup to fish with both. Seeing as how frogs tend to be < 1 oz (maybe 1/2 or 3/4 oz?) and something like the Huddleston mentioned are 2+ oz, would it be better to have two separate setups?

One rod I was looking at for example is an Okuma Scott Martin Tournament Series rod, more specifically model # TCS-C-731H

http://www.amazon.com/Okuma-Fishing-.../dp/B00F5E532G

The rod specs show that its on recommended to fish lures from 1/4 - 2oz. Would fishing with one of the Huddlestons be too much for the rod over time? I'm thinking I would get something like a Komodo 350 reel to be able to put enough line if I am going to go with something like 65 # braid. I do like the rod as its 7'3" and I know a lot of the rods that are designed to handle the bigger swimbaits are in the upper 7s or even 8' which unless I get a travel rod would be a pain for me to transport since I drive a sedan.

I'm not in a hurry to get anything but I figured planning/saving now would be a good idea :) Any thoughts/advice/criticism is welcomed. Thanks in advance!

Rich

That rod is gonna be too lIght for the 8 inch hudds I have an okuma guide select Mh. That thing chicks hudds a mile. And I would not recommend throwing swimbaits on braid. One backlash and your not will fail because there is no stretch in braid. And your bait will go flying into the depths. I throw hudds on 20lb mono. Combining a swimbait rod to also be your frog rod is tough. It would work with the rod you are looking at but that would only throw light swimbaits.

Also I have the Komodo as its a kick *** reel

Sorry this is a bit jumbled up typing on this sight is hard on an iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by parkermann2 View Post
    That rod is gonna be too lIght for the 8 inch hudds I have an okuma guide select Mh. That thing chicks hudds a mile. And I would not recommend throwing swimbaits on braid. One backlash and your not will fail because there is no stretch in braid. And your bait will go flying into the depths. I throw hudds on 20lb mono. Combining a swimbait rod to also be your frog rod is tough. It would work with the rod you are looking at but that would only throw light swimbaits.

Also I have the Komodo as its a kick *** reel

Sorry this is a bit jumbled up typing on this sight is hard on an iPhone
    Hmmm, maybe I will have to rethink my strategy then. Do you think that rod would work on a 6" or a 68 Weedless? How light of a swimbait do you think it would need to be? I don't think I'll be using an 8" Hudd. I believe those are closer to 5oz?

If I get a separate rod for a hudd, I might need to look into a travel rod for something the size of a guide select. I can barely fit the 7' in my car lol.

PS - thanks for the advice!
    Last edited by csun22; 08-24-2015 at 10:13 PM.