Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: ON and off taret, 2 reports

Default ON and off taret, 2 reports

Got out for 2 ultra short sessions last and this Saturday. NO time to go South so made quick runs North of town.
    Got to a spot in pleasant fog, easy pedal on my longboard, a little murky; few oily spots and kelp not looking healthy, scratched a couple calicos, said goodbye to about 15 seals that controlled the place and before heading straight back decided to tie a small crocodile and tossed it in-between the dispersed kelp strings (sinking and jigging back up)
    A minute later - a massive hookup and in another minute I'm at the end of my 20 lb test line and pressing both thumbs into the reel on a not-tight-enough drag. Got it turned , got some line back and enjoyed a tow ride towards the beach (will it land itself ?). After about 10 minutes of entertaining passing paddle boarders with my singing reel I'm gaining line and the fish is still on, even after running towards me and I'm anxious to see color. Well, just then the hooked popped and i reel my lure with mixed feelings. I'm 90% sure it was a nice yellowtail as it behaved like a huge bonito would with fork tail action. Although it was fun, I realize that it may be awhile before I stumble onto one of those again and be in position to land it. So I didn't feel like even posting this but had a good time this today so:
    Only 1 h opening, so I just tied LC on the same 20lbs test line (it casted almost as good as my usual 12lbs test)and run out to local beach to exercise my legs instead of arms. Walked to an old local spot and it looked like Waikiki: warm clear water , no salad, gentle baby waves, beginner folks on soft boards and best of all - instant action. One after another I pulled 3 short halibut and saw them chasing small baitfish. Left them biting (I was waiting to write this phrase for years) - I'm not used to action being so rapid and on smaller models here up North: in the past it was a lot less frequent but mostly legals. Finished the mini session with giant smelt that tried to act like a yellow I lost the previous time. Back in time for my daughter's swim class with 10 min to spare. Let's see what ocean troughs at me the next time.
    Last edited by efishent; 08-22-2015 at 06:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Oh the ever familiar tune of the "quickie" session to make it for the kids swim lesson...story of my weekends. Try not to feel too bad about the yellow. I get this feeling that you'll get another chance with the way things are going this year. They're tough fish. Not easy to land even from a boat. From a surfboard or from shore the odds are stacked against you a bit more. Sounds like you had a good shot at him and the fact that you got one to eat is a major accomplishment. You'll get em next time. Keep at it and I'm sure we'll be reading that success story soon. Congrats on the pancake fest!

Don

Hi efishent,

What an exciting session Sir!

I look forward to reading your next session report titled "Water Boarding Moby"!

Thanx for the session report!

SP Dan <"))><

Default chaser report

First - thank you for replies and comments. And a another quickie board-session update on near shore kelp:

Yellowtail: Still running like giant torpedoes , fountaining macks and other bait 4-5 ft in the air . I tried to follow the movement with my croc casts for no luck. All party boats were 1 mile + further out than me offering live bait. I Still used only iron today, 0 caught
    Bonito: coming in small schools on kelp edges, smaller than at islands but plenty of fun sized ones, caught 6-8
    Calico: Eating iron when it's free of other species, caught 6, biggest 19 "
    Barracuda: small ones hook their backs to treble on the croc and ride, caught 4
    Didn't have time to switch to any other baits in 2 h session and paddled back with mellow conditions.
    It looks like many reports had similar action and sure is consistent.

Sounds like another successful outing. Keep at it. There are reports of yellows being spotted from piers. All it takes is one of those schools to chase bait in tight and you'll be "game on". With all the activity you're finding, it's just a matter of time and those stars are gonna align.

Don