Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Beat the Heat at Malibu

Default Beat the Heat at Malibu

Been busy at work and haven't checked in here for a few weeks, so I figured I'd share my most recent solo outing.

Went out yesterday morning (Monday) to my usual AO on a rare day off about an hour before the high tide. Chucked the LC for mostly salad for a while until I found a clear spot. Worked it fast, medium, slow, w/ jerks and stops, etc. (basically every way I know how to work an LC) with no action. Wound up finding a little crab scuttling after one of the waves hit and tied him on a carolina rig, figuring the fish were being too lazy to chase something that isn't just holding still and floating there. I know the calicos eat these as part of their natural food source, so I thought it would be a good skunk buster bait. No such luck :(

About an hour after the high tide (2 hours of fishing) and no bites let alone fish on the sand, I just put my rod down by some rocks and went for a swim! I knew in about an hour I'd be back in the blistering heat of my beloved San Fernando Valley, so I might as well cool off :)

As always, in spite of the skunk, it's still great to be outside in the sunshine and splashing around in the water. Going again this weekend down in OC w/ an old friend who's visiting from Missouri. Wish him luck, as it will be his first time fishing in saltwater, and I really want him to have an epic experience to go home to all his rivers and lakes with!

Nice try out there. When all else fails, taking a dip is always a good option with all the heat we've been having. Good luck this weekend down south. Hope you get your friend on some fish!

Don

Hi ya camdozer,

Great effort Sir!
    I enjoyed reading about your determination and willingness to switch up baits.

Bottom line ... I'm glad you had a cool day!

Thanx for the session report! And good luck to you and your ridge-running buddy this weekend!

SP Dan <"))><