Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Sockeye Salmon Fishing

Default Sockeye Salmon Fishing

I have to admit there are a few things I miss about living in California... but this living in British Columbia on the coast now is pretty sweet. It's 30 min to the ferry, 2 hour ferry ride and an hour drive to Port Alberni... the so called Salmon Capital of the World. Went out for our First time last month for the rumors of an epic Sockeye run. A forecast 1.3 million returning fish that didn't care to enter the warm river. They were just piling up in the inlet and waiting to be caught. I was reading about guys limiting out in an hour for a few weeks so thought it was time to get in on the action. Well the First day we got out late but still managed 11... one short of our limit. Then it happened the first rains of the summer for the next two days and the salmon fishing slowed down for us as they started to move into the rivers. Caught 4 the next two days and still lost a whole bunch, but they weren't as crazy after the rain. Had a great time anyways and came home with a cooler full of salmon. I've been eating like a king, bbq salmon every night, haha.

The Pink run is supposed to be epic... so hopefully we get some more cool weather and rain so they can open up the Fraser in September and we can all get out on some Humpies! This is all totally new to me, loving every bit.

Here's a video from our last day... the only nice sunny day, was beautiful out there. I have some footage from the first day I'll have to put together, but was a mess we started to find our grove and figure it out the last day.

[URL=http://s14.photobucket.com/user/Brandonkop3/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150724_181901.jpg.html]

[URL=http://s14.photobucket.com/user/Brandonkop3/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150724_184544-0.jpg.html]

Hey Fishing Doc, love your fishing channel on you tube. I've a few more locations to fish in southern california now after having watched your videos. Too bad we're not able to see anymore of your exploits here in Southern California but your new adventures up north should be very entertaining. The canning method looks great, would you care to share what you season it with before you cook it? Also what is the shelf life and do you need to refrigerate them? ONce cooked is there enough fluids in them to cover all the fish in the jars or do you have some pieces that are not submerged?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Calicanuck View Post
    I have to admit there are a few things I miss about living in California... but this living in British Columbia on the coast now is pretty sweet. It's 30 min to the ferry, 2 hour ferry ride and an hour drive to Port Alberni... the so called Salmon Capital of the World. Went out for our First time last month for the rumors of an epic Sockeye run. A forecast 1.3 million returning fish that didn't care to enter the warm river. They were just piling up in the inlet and waiting to be caught. I was reading about guys limiting out in an hour for a few weeks so thought it was time to get in on the action. Well the First day we got out late but still managed 11... one short of our limit. Then it happened the first rains of the summer for the next two days and the salmon fishing slowed down for us as they started to move into the rivers. Caught 4 the next two days and still lost a whole bunch, but they weren't as crazy after the rain. Had a great time anyways and came home with a cooler full of salmon. I've been eating like a king, bbq salmon every night, haha.

The Pink run is supposed to be epic... so hopefully we get some more cool weather and rain so they can open up the Fraser in September and we can all get out on some Humpies! This is all totally new to me, loving every bit.

Here's a video from our last day... the only nice sunny day, was beautiful out there. I have some footage from the first day I'll have to put together, but was a mess we started to find our grove and figure it out the last day.

[URL=http://s14.photobucket.com/user/Brandonkop3/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150724_181901.jpg.html]

[URL=http://s14.photobucket.com/user/Brandonkop3/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150724_184544-0.jpg.html]