Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Rpt.-Wed.-08-12-15 Took one on the chin!

Default Rpt.-Wed.-08-12-15 Took one on the chin!

So I went fishing with my nephew Cody and his friend Tony on his 27’Scarab. Wed. 8-12-15, I met Cody in Oceanside at 5am. We launched shortly thereafter, and got inline for bait, about ten boats ahead of us. Got a great scoop of the best sardines in quite some time, although the $50 is painful.

Our beginning destination was about 10-12 miles offshore, due west and then working north to the Domes. The seas were a bit bumpy, short period, large swells, with about 8 knots of wind. By 7:30 am whitecaps appeared and the wind was 10 to 12 knots. Not what we wanted or expected from the forecast. The wind did back off a little around 9am until 11am and then worked its way up to 18 to 20 knots.

All the Kelp paddies we found were holding bait and no predators, never a good sign. We joined many a group of boats on our way north only to witness no hookups and no signs of birds working or fish crashing. What little marks we found were small and fairly deep 80’+. We did meter lots of bait. Same scenario working our way Southwest. Lots of groups of boats with some working Kelp Paddies, others just soaking bait, again no signs of any fish.

We found a group of hard working Porpoise and trolled though them from every direction for about 20 minutes. Never saw any marks under or with them. Later in the day we heard several boats with successful hookups on the Mammals?

The radio chatter was mostly what we were experiencing, a down day. The usual lucky or very astute private boaters caught their share. We had no Mojo today. With the wind howling, and just leaving our 20th non-producing Kelp Paddy, we called it at 1:30 pm.

Tossing all that great bait away was painful! We covered about 100 miles and burned 80 gallons of fuel. Never saw a Tuna caught, only a couple of Dorado. A bummer of a day for sure.

Thanks so much for the invite Cody, nice to meet you Tony. I know we can make up for this on our next adventure together.

Hook up! Cory

Oh well. Great effort Cory.
    DR

Not your usual results Tunaslam...the one good thing about a day like that is that it builds appreciation for the great days...

Thanks for the report Cory. It happens sometimes. Hopefully next time you will kill it!

Thanks for the info Cory, not usual for you.

Well if that happen to you I know it was a down day for sure,sorry for that but we've all been there,I remember a one mackerel day a few seasons ago,important thing is you and your buddy's got home safe to do it again another day,calm seas. Thanks Cory!

Cya Tuna Vic