Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Mexican Limit of Yellowtail today on the Gail Force!!!!!

Default Mexican Limit of Yellowtail today on the Gail Force!!!!!

No I wasn't in Mexico!!! I was on the Gail Force 3/4 day boat out of San Pedro (waterfront cruises) fishing the Horseshoe Kelp out in Long Beach CA. I say Mexican limit (which is 5 Yellowtail a day) is what I caught today!!! I actually hooked 6 Yellowtail and I pulled a hook on one of them after using my friends Glenn's Rubber hooks. (I can see why he pulls them now) After yesterday's Yellowtail fish counts the word is out!!!!! Most of the sport boats were packed with people and a heck of a lot more skiffs out there, as compared to Monday when I was on the Monte Carlo. People are taking anything that floats out there including Rubber rafts!!!! (no kidding) My Posse and my FNN'ers friends got in on the peak day of week so far on Tuesday. Glenn went on the Monte Carlo again and fished both runs and caught 7-8 Yellowtail and lost a bunch more. (He told me the head deckhand and Captain chastised him for screwing around too much and losing fish) My friend Redear and Peepy yesterday (not their real names) went on the Spitfire and caught 10 Yellowtail between the 2 of them. Now comes good ole etucker, I'm not one to put my head in the lions mouth if I can avoid it. To give you a couple of examples of what I mean, the Enterprises went out with 79 passengers today. On the afternoon run of the Southern Cal today, a fight broke out between two passengers. One got hit in the head real good and had to have a rescue boat come out to get him. The guy who hit him, had a police boat come out to arrest him. (I'm not making this stuff up!!!!) So now that the word is out on these fish, it's time for me to use my head and my wallet to help mitigate the riff raff and still fish!!! What I try to do best, "is to try to out smart other people." (I tell my clients all the time their hiring the smartest guy in the room) lol So now I start looking for some really good fishing trips. (not the usual ordinary boat stuff but something really special) and I found it late last night. A charter had cancelled on the Gail force and they were going to run OPEN PARTY limited load of 20 people!!!! 20 people HOLY GAUCAMOLE!!!!!! The only problem it was scheduled as a 5-5 Catalina Island special. Who wants to go to Catalina Island and mostly catch Rat Yellowtail (4-6 pounders) when the stuff on the Beach is all 14-30 lbs!!!! Well nobody that's who!!! They only had 7 reservations as of 6:00 pm Tuesday. I said to myself, "if they commit to fishing along the Beach I'm going." At 8:00 pm they made the call, $100 dollars a person, no more then 20 passengers on the boat and their fishing the Slug Yellowtail on the Beach!!!! I call up work to see if they can cover for me??? Yep they can!!!! I then make a tactical mistake, I ask Glenn if he wants to go???? He just fished 2 days in a row and he is a bit of a pussy. He say's he wants to go, but you guessed it. He didn't make it!!!!!

On to the fishing.

We left at 5:00 am, so that makes us the first boat on the water. We start drifting yesterdays hot spot and we get bit before anybody else is even on the fishing grounds. We land 21 Yellowtail before any other boats show up. With only 20 passengers, guess how many fish we lost out of the first 21 Yellowtail hooked???? Try none!!!! What a difference 20 people make compared to 60 passengers on the same size boat. I want to say something about the crew, their top notch and the cook's Breakfast Burrito was out of this world. I landed 2 Yellowtail out of the first 21 that hit the deck, so the pressure was off of me right from the beginning. I landed my third Yellowtail right when we put the anchor down. Then disaster struck, I've been catching most of my Yellowtail on my 30 pound rig with a floro leader. I got in a tangle with a hooked fish and a whole lot of other lines and got my line cut and ruined!!! So now I had to go to my #40 pound pole, I got only 2 bites in the next 3 hours on that pole and I pulled one hook. (while everyone else was hooking up a lot more then me) In desperation in the last half hour, I went to my #20 pound pole which has my Jr Squider reel on it. (You talk about old school) I got bit reeling in, just as we were ready to go home!!!! I landed my fifth Yellowtail and the captain said, "that's it everybody lets go home." Final fish count for the boat was 58 Yellowtail for 20 passengers. The Enterprise today landed 58 Yellowtail for 79 passengers. Which boat would you rather be on today????? By the way, the passengers on our boat were very nice and cooperative with each other. Tight lines everybody till my next adventure!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 08-13-2015 at 07:18 AM.

Great report,yup you pulled one out of the hat right there,way to go on the searching and diligence on finding that limited boat trip,really bad to hear about the hurt passenger and fight on the other boat,sad state of affairs when you're out to have a nice day and have to witness that,packed party boats,I'm out.

Cya Tuna Vic

I havnt been on the Gail force but I have been on the triton multiple times. It's a great boat and it has the 32 degree fish hold that is great! Great crew and captain! I've heard really good stuff about the Gail force too

Quote Originally Posted by parkermann2 View Post
    I havnt been on the Gail force but I have been on the triton multiple times. It's a great boat and it has the 32 degree fish hold that is great! Great crew and captain! I've heard really good stuff about the Gail force too
    You can just tell it's a class organization!!!! Highly recommended!!!! Fishing is fishing, sometimes they bite sometimes they don't!!! But good customer service is something that is always prized!!!

Hey Tuck,

Great info as usual. How did you find out a fight broke on the Southern Cal? What was your news outlet?

Quote Originally Posted by bitedez View Post
    Hey Tuck,

Great info as usual. How did you find out a fight broke on the Southern Cal? What was your news outlet?
    Good question!!! We were only fishing 3 miles off of Angels gate and the wind came up real strong in the afternoon. So the captain decided to clean all the Yellowtail inside the harbor by the prison. The captain (Joel) and the cook (Mark) cleaned all the fish, so that left the second ticket in the wheel house. He heard the story over the radio and came down and told the captain and anybody else in ear shot the whole story.