Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need this question answered!

Default I need this question answered!

Hello Anglers,

I am a 17 year old dude from West Covina. Didn't know where to post this, so I guess this is a good place, haha.

Is it wrong to keep fishing locations secret? Because I have come across some good areas to fish in that aren't well known, but I'd rather keep them secret. I guess I am afraid that people will go to them and pressure the fish and have a negative impact on the environment by depleting the population of fish.

So, if you came across an unknown fishing hole, would you keep it a secret? Or would you give out the location here on FNN?

~WCAngler

Keep it all to yourself or it will get," raped" and it will never be the same fishing in your lifetime. Hey, I am just be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by WCAngler View Post
    Hello Anglers,

I am a 17 year old dude from West Covina. Didn't know where to post this, so I guess this is a good place, haha.

Is it wrong to keep fishing locations secret? Because I have come across some good areas to fish in that aren't well known, but I'd rather keep them secret. I guess I am afraid that people will go to them and pressure the fish and have a negative impact on the environment by depleting the population of fish.

So, if you came across an unknown fishing hole, would you keep it a secret? Or would you give out the location here on FNN?

~WCAngler
    Keep it secret. I showed my good fishing buddy a spot. He said he'd keep quiet. Started with cousin, it's not secret anymore !

Keep it on the down low it won't last forever

WCAngler,

Loose lips sink ships.

Now, if we were in Montana where fishing destinations flood the entire state, then sure, telling a few people about your spot wouldn't be a big deal, considering that those same people probably have better honey holes and won't invade yours.

Realize that we're in Southern California, estimated population? Too many. We also have 5 lakes to fish.

Simple math should make you realize that the honey holes you find should be kept to yourself. If you want to post a few pictures on the Photos/Videos section of the site, then by all means. But don't be like some of the dudes here who wake up each morning excited to see PMs in their Inbox of members asking them for their location of their secret spot after reading their reports; don't know how they expect it to remain secret if they're posting it on a board where millions of people have access to.

If you find one, keep it secret. Share your catches on the Pictures/Videos section, but make sure not to tell anybody, unless you want your secret spot run over by individuals who don't make the effort to find the spots, and would rather PM people instead of doing their own research.

It's unfortunate but DS is right. Many of us a little older dudes grew up learning that it was good to share fishing with friends and family, that teaching and sharing fishing information was a good thing. Although the teaching aspect I think is still important and I will always do my best to share that with others the sharing of "spots" is something I will only do with a selected few. Bummer and not really what I want but So Cal has just too many rats in the cage.

I learned the hard way on this one. Thought I had a good friend, turned out to be a real idiot. I showed him a really good spot and told him to keep it on the down low. Well sure enough he slowing started taking other people. Of course they told someone and the domino effect took over. Now the place totally sucks. Keep places to yourself man ........

Like others said, keep it a secret unless you want that place to be known.

I've had the same happened to me in the past about secret locations. Thought it would be kept a secret but sure enough, next time I was out there, it was the person I shared the spot and his friends. Few more sessions out there and ran into his friends with his friends smh.

I basically fish with my bro's and fish buddies from years and years ago that I know that they won't share the spot with others.

This is funny....You'd think it would be common knowledge that if you post here or anywhere on the internet...your spot is one google search away from being invaded.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast