Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Finally, Caught My First Surf Perches... W/ Pics!

Default Finally, Caught My First Surf Perches... W/ Pics!

I caught the smaller one with a clear green curly tailed grub, and about a #6 hook rigged Carolina style. I was a using a 1/4 oz barrel sinker, along with a small buffer bead. I was using my 6' light action rod and reel by Pflueger. The Pflueger Trion to be exact. With 6 pound test line.

The second, and larger perch was caught on Berkely Sandworms, that a gentleman offered to me after he caught an absolute slob of a perch. 1.5-2 pounds I'm guessing. The larger surf perch that I caught I was using two 1/4 oz sinkers just to get it out further. It worked cuz I got more bites.

The last fish I caught, I didn't get a picture of. I didn't want to, because lets be real, I foul hooked him in the side... Poor fishie...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1. First Surf Perch.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	46828

Name:	4. second goldfish.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	46829

Perch are a very fun fish to catch, especially on lighter gear

~WCAngler

Quote Originally Posted by WCAngler View Post
    I caught the smaller one with a clear green curly tailed grub, and about a #6 hook rigged Carolina style. I was a using a 1/4 oz barrel sinker, along with a small buffer bead. I was using my 6' light action rod and reel by Pflueger. The Pflueger Trion to be exact. With 6 pound test line.

The second, and larger perch was caught on Berkely Sandworms, that a gentleman offered to me after he caught an absolute slob of a perch. 1.5-2 pounds I'm guessing. The larger surf perch that I caught I was using two 1/4 oz sinkers just to get it out further. It worked cuz I got more bites.

The last fish I caught, I didn't get a picture of. I didn't want to, because lets be real, I foul hooked him in the side... Poor fishie...

Name:	1. First Surf Perch.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	46828

Name:	4. second goldfish.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	46829

Perch are a very fun fish to catch, especially on lighter gear

~WCAngler
    What Beach was this at?? Nice Catch

And the addiction begins haha.
    Congrats on the Perch, if the sandworm that fella gave you was green with red thats money for the perch bite.
    A popular bait indeed.
    Also, you can give sandcrabs a shot, thats another go to bait for perch/corbinas and theyre free.

Very nice job on some nice fish! That second one was a chunk. Way to change things up with the double sinkers to get into the zone too. Keep it up and I'm sure we'll be hearing about more successful outings.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by iLLest View Post
    And the addiction begins haha...
    X2 that! From now on your arse belongs to Poseidon.

Nice perch

Quote Originally Posted by jhernandez25 View Post
    What Beach was this at?? Nice Catch
    Can't say... Been coming here ever since I was a kid, and barely started fishing it. Private, with no one else fishing it.

Good population of Surf perch. If I caught everything that bit, I would have more than double of what I caught. And I was only fishing for an hour and 45 minutes...

~WCAngler
    Last edited by WCAngler; 08-11-2015 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iLLest View Post
    And the addiction begins haha.
    Congrats on the Perch, if the sandworm that fella gave you was green with red thats money for the perch bite.
    A popular bait indeed.
    Also, you can give sandcrabs a shot, thats another go to bait for perch/corbinas and theyre free.
    Yes, they were the green and red colored ones. I think I landed the bigger one on my first or second cast... Unfortunately, the sand worm fell off, so I had to go back to grubs.

~WCAngler

Quote Originally Posted by bachiboy View Post
    Very nice job on some nice fish! That second one was a chunk. Way to change things up with the double sinkers to get into the zone too. Keep it up and I'm sure we'll be hearing about more successful outings.

Don
    For Sure!

~WCAngler

Good job, thanks for the report.
    DR

Hi ya WCAngler,

Excellent fish report!
    I look forward to reading about more of your successful sessions!

SP Dan <"))><