Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Recommendations for stripers

Default Recommendations for stripers

Hi all,

I've been reading some of the threads for a few weeks now and finally signed up.

Until recently, I've been primarily a trout guy. I'm just starting to expand my horizons and getting into bass fishing more specifically stripers (and largemouth if they happen to be around). I bought my first baitcaster earlier this year and while I haven't caught anything on the 3 times I've been out with it I have had a lot of fun with it.

With that being said, I could used some advice for setups. I've only been to Castaic and Pyramid fishing from the shore. I would like to get a spinnerbait or two to try my luck. What would some of you more experienced guys recommend as far as line type and test? How heavy of a spinnerbait would you recommend?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Rich

Welcome to FNN

Your going to get tons of different answers to your question,,,,ALL Good answers because the work already for someone.

Id say

10 lb test

Ditch the spinnerbait idea for a more versatile lure such as the

LUCKY CRAFT 100 SP in any natural looking color,,,such as <American shad, aurora black, or any other typical color

Throw the heck out of this lure and it will catch both bass and stripers,,,

Good luck and god bless

TRAIL BLAZER

Yeah forget the spinnerbait... no good brush or dirty water at those two lakes.like TB says jerkbaits...

Flukes as well.

Keep in mind every fish in castaic and pyramid has seen an artificial bait 1000 times. Use light line and flouro to give yourself the best shot

i've used white bucktails w/ white plastic grubtails. used it on top and deep. also had good luck with flukes- 1/4 oz to 1/2 oz in shad colors( you'll cactch largemouths with these to). zara spooks or any top water lures when they are on top boiling.

Awesome! Thank you for all the suggestions, I will definitely be picking up a couple of these to try. Do you guys think either 10# mono or fluoro is the way to go for these setups?

floro would help if fish are being line shy. in my personal opinion....if you are doing the bait and wait game, i would definitely use floro. if throwing lures, i dont think it matters since its a reaction bait.

Man, I could have written your post word-for-word a few years ago. Switching from trout to LMB then stripers. I strongly suggest you get a second rod n reel. One for topwaters and one for sub surface. Flouro is great. Sensitive and invisible BUT it sinks so it can be problematic throwing topwaters. For topwaters either braid or mono. As trail blazer said a Lucky Craft SP is a true standard (I like Ghost Minnow color) .

Best advice I could give, if fishing from shore, time of day is critical. Early morning, grey light to 1/2 or so after sun up, late evening, when sun goes down to just after dark, are the magic hours for surface and sub-surface activity near shore. You can give all kinds of lure advice and all have been good but if the fish aren't feeding or located where you are tossing well then no lure made is going to catch them.

Good luck!

I do have one rod and wanted to get a second one. The baitcasting rod I do have (7 ft abu garcia veritas, MH) was given to me as a gift and I paired it with a BPS tourney special just so I could learn the mechanics since I've always used spinning rods. That rod is setup with 10lb mono and I do feel relatively comfortable using it now.
    I am looking into getting a 2nd setup for the reason mentioned. I'd like one for top water and one for non-top water. I've kind of narrowed it down but getting advice is greatly appreciated.
    A friend I asked thinks my second setup should have 6 to 8 lb test on it but being so new to any kind of bass fishing, I have no idea.
    Thanks again for all of the advice.

Carolina Rig, 6lb fluorocarbon and Bloodworms. Plus make sure you try what Trail Blazer and Cut Bait said. I've caught a lot of fish from shore at Castaic using that technique. Get a 2 rod stamp !