Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for Trolling Grant Lake

Default Tips for Trolling Grant Lake

Heading up to the June Lake Loop next week and will be trolling Grant Lake for the first time. Any tips for areas to target, how deep the fish are and lures to use to target big browns are appreciated.

Sorry no one has responded. May be because Grant doesn't get fished that much. I last trolled it myself several years ago. I have read reports and fished up at the Rush Creek end from shore very late in Oct-Nov. But, I'll take a stab at it

I would suggest exploring the area/bay nearest to Rush Creek and Silver Lake, etc. You said "big browns" so I would suggest Rapalas and similar kinds of plugs in the 11-14 size ... 9 as a minimum. I'm not sure what the depth of that area is. I'd guess that you want to start by trolling 3-4 (15 or so feet deep) colors towards the middle since it's summer time ... go deeper if you're willing to risk hitting bottom.

In my "good ole days" SOP was to troll out of the landing towards Hiway 395 on south side (highway side) until you reach the point that juts out ... then take a 45 degree turn off the point heading across the lake (still going towards Hiway 395). Original pearl biking Nfish or Frog Nfish were the ticket then ... but we weren't aiming for the hogs.

I believe the other side is called something like "Rattlesnake Bay" ... but I have Oldtimer's disease.

I hope to be on Grant the morning of Sep 7 or 14th. Gotta risk going to LA for a football game ... and hope to catch it on the way back.

I'll report good or bad ... hope you do to.

GOOD LUCK

Go with gold/orange 11,13 rapala, 6-8 lb test. Don't need to go deep. Early and late 2 hour window. Do the drag and yank method. Good luck, September and October is best.

Look up Dan Guide Service. Good dude and knows grant very well. 661 478-0036

Quote Originally Posted by tpfishnfool View Post
    Look up Dan Guide Service. Good dude and knows grant very well. 661 478-0036
    I appreciate the recommendation. I couldn't find it. Is it under any other name? Whereabouts is he? OOPS ... found him

https://www.facebook.com/dansguideservice

The 11 and 13's are CD's right? Would you go up towards Rush or down towards 395?
    Last edited by billy b; 08-12-2015 at 09:59 AM.

Thanks for the info gentlemen. Went last night to Walmart to pick up CD-9 R.Trout. I will head to Turners tonight for the CD-11.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Brown Eye View Post
    Heading up to the June Lake Loop next week and will be trolling Grant Lake for the first time. Any tips for areas to target, how deep the fish are and lures to use to target big browns are appreciated.
    Well

Howd ya do? I had to postpone my trip ... maybe the week after Labor Day

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    I appreciate the recommendation. I couldn't find it. Is it under any other name? Whereabouts is he? OOPS ... found him

https://www.facebook.com/dansguideservice

The 11 and 13's are CD's right? Would you go up towards Rush or down towards 395?
    Troll in a s pattern from rattle snake to the dam, hug 395 and opposite side last 2 hours in the afternoon. The gap between the marina and rattle snake is good.
    Good luck and post up your results.

Don't bother with the CD's. Stick to the stock Rapalas 11-13 orange/gold , drag them behind 75-100 ft.

i drove by grant lake a couple of weeks ago man i sad to say that the water drop extremely low
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Newsletter-SU-2015-05-06-Grant-Lake-Reservoir-AD_3759.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	46911  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast