Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yellowtail on the worst Half-day boat on the coast.

Holy crap. Did I happen to see you on the boat that day? I was on the Special on 8/6. I hooked into something on the yoyo, but came unbuttoned since I was messing with the drag. Eh, no big deal. The deckhand and Capt' were more upset than I was lol.

I agree with you on the captain. He can be pretty hot headed. He knows what he's doing, but his customer service can be iffy at times. Although, I have had some past rockfish trips with him in past where he was a cool dude. He and his deckhand were just going at each other that day. It was pretty amusing watching all that. And, seeing those rat yellows being taken peeved me off as well. Shame that they were being taken. Oh and seriously, fishing mackerel from your number? lol WTF is that all about? Some guy gave me crap about that. I told him that I'd rather not tangle with him and had to follow my bait. Makes me kind of happy that he didn't hook up on anything that day. He was a real douche, good person I'm sure, but his attitude was sh*t.

Anyways, nice job on the yellow. I got a few calicos with one being in the 3-4lb class. All I got to say is I'll be sticking with my kayak for a little while before I hop back onto a cattle boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifishtoolittle View Post
    Holy crap. Did I happen to see you on the boat that day? I was on the Special on 8/6. I hooked into something on the yoyo, but came unbuttoned since I was messing with the drag. Eh, no big deal. The deckhand and Capt' were more upset than I was lol.

I agree with you on the captain. He can be pretty hot headed. He knows what he's doing, but his customer service can be iffy at times. Although, I have had some past rockfish trips with him in past where he was a cool dude. He and his deckhand were just going at each other that day. It was pretty amusing watching all that. And, seeing those rat yellows being taken peeved me off as well. Shame that they were being taken. Oh and seriously, fishing mackerel from your number? lol WTF is that all about? Some guy gave me crap about that. I told him that I'd rather not tangle with him and had to follow my bait. Makes me kind of happy that he didn't hook up on anything that day. He was a real douche, good person I'm sure, but his attitude was sh*t.

Anyways, nice job on the yellow. I got a few calicos with one being in the 3-4lb class. All I got to say is I'll be sticking with my kayak for a little while before I hop back onto a cattle boat.

I just checked my calendar, it was Thurs the 6th on the morning run of the Redondo Special. Did you notice the poor guy almost sinking in that little boat while we were making Mackerel???? I'm sorry we don't wear FNN pins when we go fishing on Party Boats. I would love to introduce myself to anyone who is a fan of FNN. I just had to vent on Eric (captain) he acted so terrible that day!!!! I imagine when he is fishing for 12 inch rockfish with 8 passengers on the boat he his an ok guy. Put the pressure on him with these Yellowtail and he just falls apart!!!!! I am though a huge fan of David who runs the Indian out of the same landing. I've read your posts for years and I think you're a classy guy, I'm sorry we didn't get to formally meet!!!!

i sure miss capt derry on the special he knew what he was doing always laughing and loved helping people he was like a father to me rip capt derry miss the hell out of you

I haven't fished in the salt in ages. I sold off half my gear since I hadn't used it in forever, and the reasons why are highlighted in this post, and in other people's reports lately regarding party boats here in SoCal. As of late, i thought that getting on a trip on a cattle boat during the week would reduce the shoulder to shoulder combat fishing, but apparently that isn't the case anymore.

So, essentially, unless you know a private boater or have your own private boat, getting out on a 3/4 day cattle boat during the weekend equates to spending $100 or so for a headache, some tangles, being part of false fish counts, and maybe actually catching some fish?

As a side note to my post about this guy and his boat. I really was just trying to vent my frustrations for being chastised by this guy on a previous trip. Giving him one more chance to see if he was just having a bad day, but then coming to the conclusion he just can't handle the pressure of a Yellowtail bite. After posting my report I noticed other then a weekend, he was hardly getting any crowd at all on his boat. Yet his fish counts were halfway decent!!! Could it be that I totally have under estimated the power of FNN???? I didn't want to hurt the guy financially but to prove a point to myself, "that when at sea the captain's word is LAW!!!!" However when you get off the boat, "the power of the internet can supersede even a captain on his own boat!!!!"
    Last edited by etucker1959; 08-21-2015 at 01:40 PM.

Hey tucky, as much as I think you are a liberal waste of air, I agree with you here. You acted admirably. Its hard to fish these party boats and you have to work together and have a thick skin. I think sometimes the captains want to provide a quality experience but they go about it the wrong way. I've heard people talk bad about Andy on this board too but I had a chance to meet him and chat with him and he was awesome. I fished the Enterprise a few weeks ago and although it was a load of about 50 I made some cool new FNN Team 57 friends and caught a few yellows too. I lost 3 and I was lucky to land the 2 I got. It was tangle city. I think that the deckhands should gather the load and teach a mini-class on the way out about how you MUST CAST FROM MID SIDE and follow your bait to the stern with everybody moving in a big loop. Once you are in the stern and you don't get bit in a couple mins, reel in your bait and start your loop over. One loop on the port and one on the starboard. The minute someone squeezes into the corner and casts out their bait, its instant tangle.

Not crowded on weekdays you say? He have a groupon? I don't know **** about **** about these boats so take this for what it's worth but it's pretty damn annoying when you get a few fish and the whole damn boat comes over and starts crowding you and casting around you. I get that you're using (live?) macks and they're moving around but that was an idiotic idea to begin with on a crowded boat. Should be no different than a airplane. You don't change seats and come and crowd someone else because you can get a view of Mt. Rushmore on the other side of the plane. Think I'mma try kayak fishing more as well.

Quote Originally Posted by georgia_brown View Post
    Not crowded on weekdays you say? He have a groupon? I don't know **** about **** about these boats so take this for what it's worth but it's pretty damn annoying when you get a few fish and the whole damn boat comes over and starts crowding you and casting around you. I get that you're using (live?) macks and they're moving around but that was an idiotic idea to begin with on a crowded boat. Should be no different than a airplane. You don't change seats and come and crowd someone else because you can get a view of Mt. Rushmore on the other side of the plane. Think I'mma try kayak fishing more as well.
    The guy doesn't take groupon. Boats that do get 40-60 people per run. I know these for sure because I was on the Southern Cal on Monday with 50 people. They only caught 3 Yellowtail that trip, I had one of the 3 and if the kid deckhand knew how to gaff I would have had another one. With that being said, these are the numbers of passengers that rode the morning run of the Redondo Special this week. Mon (18) Tues (11) Wed (13) Thurs (21) Fri (N/A) He the Redondo Special caught Yellowtail on all his runs this week and a fair amount of Calico Bass. The point I'm trying to make again, compared to everyone else. "He is doing something very wrong to get those numbers!!!" The landing has some very nice things to offer, including one of the closest run to the fishing grounds. Too bad he doesn't know how to capitalize on these things!!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 08-21-2015 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    Hey tucky, as much as I think you are a liberal waste of air, I agree with you here. You acted admirably. Its hard to fish these party boats and you have to work together and have a thick skin. I think sometimes the captains want to provide a quality experience but they go about it the wrong way. I've heard people talk bad about Andy on this board too but I had a chance to meet him and chat with him and he was awesome. I fished the Enterprise a few weeks ago and although it was a load of about 50 I made some cool new FNN Team 57 friends and caught a few yellows too. I lost 3 and I was lucky to land the 2 I got. It was tangle city. I think that the deckhands should gather the load and teach a mini-class on the way out about how you MUST CAST FROM MID SIDE and follow your bait to the stern with everybody moving in a big loop. Once you are in the stern and you don't get bit in a couple mins, reel in your bait and start your loop over. One loop on the port and one on the starboard. The minute someone squeezes into the corner and casts out their bait, its instant tangle.
    Captain Andy is a great guy!!!! He's not only one of the most knowledgeable skippers, he is also very affable!!!! He runs a tight ship but he also try's to keep everybody calm, so everyone can enjoy themselves. In the end, "that's what this is all about!!!"
    Last edited by etucker1959; 08-21-2015 at 05:51 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12