Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Southern Cal 8/5 Tue PM Horseshoe Goes Off

Default Southern Cal 8/5 Tue PM Horseshoe Goes Off

Jumped on the PM. Full Boat 60 people. Captain got bait then was heading towards Angels Gate.
    Blowing 15 - 20 mph and white capping. I'm thinking WTH the 150 is the other direction ???

Dropping anchor, slipping anchor a couple Cuda couple YT. Captain moved again, wind backing down a little by 3pm.
    We sat on the west shoe anchored.

Then the action went nuts. 2 - 3 - 4 guys hooked up at once. Quality Yellowtail and 36" Barracuda.

I'm 0 for 2 on the YT, 1 was a tangle cut off the there one hook popped. Couple Cuda landed.
    1/2 hour overtime captain saying no more baits in the water, while I tie a hook. Grabbed a bait.
    Then zzzzzzzz bam I'm on, last YT landed on the boat.

Pretty insane combat fishing, 1 1/2 hours of madness as good as it gets.

Southern Cal
    Tue Aug 04 2015,
    1/2 day pm 61 anglers Caught : 59 Yellowtail 31 Barracuda

WTG DR...not too bad for a half day boat! In any other year that would not be a believable fish count.

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    Jumped on the PM. Full Boat 60 people. Captain got bait then was heading towards Angels Gate.
    Blowing 15 - 20 mph and white capping. I'm thinking WTH the 150 is the other direction ???

Dropping anchor, slipping anchor a couple Cuda couple YT. Captain moved again, wind backing down a little by 3pm.
    We sat on the west shoe anchored.

Then the action went nuts. 2 - 3 - 4 guys hooked up at once. Quality Yellowtail and 36" Barracuda.

I'm 0 for 2 on the YT, 1 was a tangle cut off the there one hook popped. Couple Cuda landed.
    1/2 hour overtime captain saying no more baits in the water, while I tie a hook. Grabbed a bait.
    Then zzzzzzzz bam I'm on, last YT landed on the boat.

Pretty insane combat fishing, 1 1/2 hours of madness as good as it gets.

Southern Cal
    Tue Aug 04 2015,
    1/2 day pm 61 anglers Caught : 59 Yellowtail 31 Barracuda
    Good for you DR, I was on the Enterprise yesterday and saw you guy's pull in with all that wind. We took off early because the captain was disgusted with all the rude customers we had yesterday!!!!

Way to go Dockrat... I almost jumped on the pm boat today too. Not bad numbers for a 1/2 day.

Hey Dockrat,

So that was you who was the last fish...glad you got it! Perseverence pays off. I was there...that was a bad *** bite especially towards the very end. As good as I've seen it for yellowtail.... I couldnt buy a yellowtail bite til the very end either...3 slime sticks and all those tangles and people pulling your bait in once you got out there fishing 2-3 rows deep bunched up in the stern. I finally got my yt bites when i stopped fishing my 25 and 30 fluoro topshots and switched my jig rig to bait on a long topshot of 40 with a lot of lines on both fish...kudos to the crew and captain and the anglers who cut their lines or simply didnt pull when people got lines on their fish. Bad *** day...the So Cal continues to deliver on the slugs!

hey doc and frank,

I agree, awesome bite. I was on the same PM trip, wearing the real tree camo basspro hat. I ended up with 2 yt also. Both on 40lb line with a dine. Capt. Mitch really did a good job directing rail traffic and managing the bait. great trip!
    Last edited by Bradakas; 08-06-2015 at 04:03 PM.

Wtg,DR,those were nice counts you guys produced,more power to you on that P/B fishing,at 62yrs old and two knee replacements,I'll remain on skiffs and very limited loads,glad you got some,enjoy the eats,thanks for the report!

Cya Tuna Vic

tanx fo thecal report,sounds like good times

Just can never tell what's up. We headed home when the wind chased us off the water at 1:30 pm, fish bite at 3pm, darn! Glad you got the job done!