Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Late report 2 in 1 out of Pierpoint Tuna and yellowtail

Default Late report 2 in 1 out of Pierpoint Tuna and yellowtail

7/28
    After seeing mondays report on the hot yellowtail bite in the afternoon on the Southern Cal i decide to do a last min trip seeing that i still had a couple Amazon Local deals left. Arrived at the landing before 12 and park in the overflow. We boarded around 12:30 and off we went. It was a packed boat of 56 heads...not good. It was about an hour's ride to the spot after we got bait at Nacho's. The bait was on the smaller size but look healthy. On the first drift i was able to hook up on a nice yellow about 18lbs on a sardine using a 2/0 owner hook and 1/2 ounce sliding sinker. After that i was constantly stuck in tangles with people who didnt know how to move with their lines..i guess thats i pay for going on the half day boats. Wasn't able to hook up anymore after that and we headed home. Pretty short fishing but was happy with my yellowtail.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11825065_10100962951060302_2696323491700466258_n.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	46751

7/30-7/31

I had booked an overnight trip on the Toronado the previous week hoping to get my first Tuna. We arrived at the landing around 8 and we didnt board until 9:30 i thought the boat left at 9 but i guess they just want you to arrive extra early. Finally the boat leaves a little after 10 after the captain makes his safety announcements. Set up my rods with just an owner 2/0 flyline hook and off to bed i went. Woke up at 5am and the boat still didnt stop yet so i guess we were going pretty far out. Around 6am we finally stopped and began fishing and2 nice yellows were pulled up. Then we continue to hop from patty to patty and people were hooking up on dodos and rat yellows but i still didnt get at bite. Feeling pretty bummed but on the last stop of the day i was the first to hook up and it turned out to be my first yellowfin tuna that took about 25 mins to fight. Got gaffed and it was a nice 30# yellowfin. I quickly retied my hook without retying a new fluorocarbon leader... i had a feeling it was going to bite me in the butt. I casted out and i instantly hook up but it broke off at knot on my hook! I retied again using the palomar knot casted out again and i instantly hook up with another yellowfin and broke off again this time the knot between my mono and fluoro broke.... lesson learned. This time i took my time and retied new a new 3 ft fluoroleader but it was too late the bite died and we had to head home. Still a good day with my first tuna.
    -Jason
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11822421_10100965761348462_8308216720702438033_n.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	46752

Good job jason...way to hang in there and get on something!!!

Nice going,tuna and tails,can't beat that!

Cya Tuna Vic

Congrats on your first YFT. It's going to be a great season, I have a feeling you'll hooking into a few more of those before the year's end. Thanks for the report.