Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Any tips for surf fishing?

Default Any tips for surf fishing?

Ive been interested in surf fishing lately and was wondering if anyone had any tips... Ill probably be using some lures not live bait. I was planning on fishing crystal cove since its the closest beach to my house but if anyone has any better suggestions im open to try other places. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Number1topgun View Post
    Ive been interested in surf fishing lately and was wondering if anyone had any tips... Ill probably be using some lures not live bait. I was planning on fishing crystal cove since its the closest beach to my house but if anyone has any better suggestions im open to try other places. Thanks!
    Crystal Cove is a nice area. Up and down our SoCal coast is all decent surf fishing depending when you go. When you say "surf" fishing, there are a few different methods that produces well but you should narrow down your choice by what species you would like to target. There are many avid surf anglers here that can chime in as well. The 3 main methods that I use all the time is by if I target only Surf Perch or all species. If I was only going for the species of Perch, I use a light spinning rod out fit. 8 to 10lb main line mono or 20lb braid, a small egg sinker tied to a ball swivel. 6lb fluorocarbon leader and a 1.5 to 2" curly tail grub. I love the color Motoroil Red Flake. Best bait now a days have to be using the Berkely Sandworms. Awesome surf baits. If you are targeting multi species, use a larger outfit of your choice and use hardbaits like Lucky Crafts. The good ole Crocodile works awesome as well. Good luck out there and post reports! Have fun!

Hi ya Number1topgun,

Located at the top of this thread forum are (4) four sticky's (one of which is for cooking), the other (3) three will be very helpful to you. But if you cook .... then the 4th sticky should also be very helpful.
    They are literally filled with of years and years of knowledge, surf proven fishing methods and how to locate structure and hopefully fish.
    I believe that most of your tackle questions can be answered by reading these informative sticky's. Please check them out!

Thanks for chiming in and good luck out there!

I hope to see you at HG-7!

SP Dan <"))><
    Last edited by SP Dan; 08-03-2015 at 10:15 AM.