Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Bonito's at the pier

Default Bonito's at the pier

Go get em'. Balboa was going off today with not too many people fishing. The rig... Pin on a small bait fish or frozen chovie to a bonito feather fished underneath a float with a 10ft leader. Toss out as far as you can at the end of the pier either on the right or left corner. They make their rounds every 10 mins or so. Not wfo by any means, but if you wanted to target them and have never caught one off the pier, here is your chance. Hope this helps someone out...

thanx same on Hermosa pier,but very crowded

I was out there yesterday as well from 6:30 am - 10am. If you had polarize on, you can actually see small groups/schools of the cruising around the pier. Also spotted a school of small barries cruising by as well. Most of the bonies that were caught when I was there were caught on live bait (but that was the tough part today) took some work to get the live bait but once you get one, odds of getting a bonie was a lot better. Heard on Friday that the bonies wanted the spasher/floater feather combo.

Highlight of the day was when around I say 6:45 or so, a baby whale surfaced right next to the pier, literally a couple feet away from the pilings. Buddy grabbed his phone to try and record it or snap a pix but the whale dove, and then re-surfaced about 50 yards out south of the pier. That was pretty cool to see since we never seen one come that close.

Overall, the bonies are there but not wide open.

Caught one at the seal beach pier on thursday on a chrome/blue kastmaster. Saw a few others landed. Not to much fishing pressure either.

Hi ya jaggerbub,

I hardly fish anywhere else except for the surf but you make pier surfing sound fun and interesting!
    Thank you for sharing your session and for your suggestions to anyone wanting to chase after the "bones" from the pier.

Excellent information and thanx for the pier session report.

I look forward to hooking up with you at the up coming HG-7!

I can't wait!

SP Dan <"))><
    Last edited by SP Dan; 08-04-2015 at 10:35 AM.

Wow I actually received some responses this time on a post. Lol. Usually only lookers and no reponses.

SP Dan, when is the next HG-7? I've been missing out because of work in the previous years.

Quote Originally Posted by jaggerbub View Post
    Wow I actually received some responses this time on a post. Lol. Usually only lookers and no reponses.

SP Dan, when is the next HG-7? I've been missing out because of work in the previous years.
    Nice report! Always great to see the Bonita action picking up and spreading out.

The next HG event is in the planning stages. We're currently trying to secure a permit for the beach with a tentative date in mind. Once we have that locked down, an official announcement will be made. Hope to see you there!

Don

Quote Originally Posted by SP Dan View Post
    Hi ya jaggerbub,

I hardly fish anywhere else except for the surf but you make pier surfing sound fun and interesting!
    Thank you for sharing your session and for your suggestions to anyone wanting to chase after the "bones" from the pier.

Excellent information and thanx for the pier session report.

I look forward to hooking up with you at the up coming HG-7!

I can't wait!

SP Dan <"))><

Do you know if the bones are good eating? Just curious?

Quote Originally Posted by jaque1579 View Post
    Do you know if the bones are good eating? Just curious?
    If you keep them cold, and then cut out the dark vascular tissue, they make a good tuna sandwich!

Thanks Bachiboy... hoping to meet some of you swat fellas one of these days.

Jaque, I agree with what stumpknocker says. They key is to ice them. I also bleed them... I don't eat them, but I know plenty of people who do. Although I will keep some and strip them out and use for catfish bait! Mr. Whiskers love the bonnies.