Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TUNA FISHING .....catfishing style OH MY!!

Default TUNA FISHING .....catfishing style OH MY!!

Left Oside with Dane on his 19 center about 6am

Giant sardines...Bait pump died before leaving harbor and so did the 1/2 pound deans...
    THANK GOD.....

Head southwest about 15 miles find a kelp see dodo jumper .....troll by no bite, position upswell, as I reel in the troll rod with ceader dodo slashes at it literally as im pulling it out of the water. Dane fires a "colt sniper' and instant dodo flies out of water....unfortunately so did the sniper...ok we start chunkin few marks under the boat....I look over and about a 10 pound dodo looks like a fish in the aquarium store at feeding time, staring at me like " hey Mr. throw me some more chunk!!! OK no prob mr dodo

Under hand a chunk , turn, bite, gaff, 40 seconds ... were on the board.

run back on the patty start chunking. Get some marks....total catfishing deal. Chunk, put out line, put on clicker, open beer, and wait bout 20 minites and about 50 yards off patty zzzzzzzzzzzz clicker goes of I put it in gear...this is no dodo run out then straight then down 10 min. later solid 25 YFT. Looking at Del mar...swamis area ...wow. FLat calm. H2o 73.9

run back up chunk, bait, beer, bite every 20 minutes another 25 grade in the box!!

Risne and repeat!!

20 min. later im on again! this one comes off.

repeat!! 20 min. later Im on.....Another solid YFT unreal. NOT a single boat in sight. And dead on the radio.

Im fishing 50 braid to 30 floro. Dane says OK give me some o that floro....it made a difference!

Rinse return. Now finally Dane get bit and works him with his big spinner, 65 power pro to 30 floro. Gaff and Danes on the board all same grade. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150730_115542.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	46727 im bent again and a green Trophy rolls by, cant miss seeing me bent so call him " green Trophy just shut down right there and start to chuck" ...but they just kept rollin. Oh well just trying to help.

Keep repeating this on same patty for a total of 7 nice YFT.

Start for home see one more patty....and Dane really wants a dodo. Ok let try. loooooooooong soak nada. Then just as were gonna head it for the barn @ about 12:30 my rod zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    set hook and dodo comes leaping out of the water. Dane says" thats a nice one" .." no its not I say.
    dane: that thing is 80 yard away of course it looks smaller. Great fight, tons of jumps get him close and IT IS a nice one. Last 5 minutes were tense, took it easy not to farm and finally Dane sticks it.

Nicest local Dodo for me in a while.

What a day. Had the bait not died...we probably would have missed all this.

Finally count 7 nice YFT and 2 Dorado! Home by 1:30Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150730_103746.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	46728

Get out there, kill your bait, kill fish!

Ironman OUT!
    Last edited by tinfish; 07-31-2015 at 09:35 PM.

That's awesome. I've been reading more and more lately about local tunas eating chunks. Too cool. Thanks for the read.

Bad to the bone..

WoW,,,,, THATS making lemonade out of lemons

Thanks for the great report

TRAIL BLAZER

Very nice Bull.
    You nailed it with the chunking.
    Robert
    <><

Bitchen Combat Fishen

WTG tinfish...goin' with the flow and making it work.

Crazy good!111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 11111111111

Good to see someone else getting there share! If anyone needs an extra hand let me know. Tuna fever boiling in my veins, I'll scrub the boat and buy the bait/gas. Tired of fishing from the shore. Even though I have been doing pretty good if you have read my recent post about Dana harbor.

Great fishing there,love your formula and results, WTG!

Cya Tuna Vic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast