Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i've never seen this before

Default i've never seen this before

Was at the lake on Thur 7/30. In the after noon I came across this big guy belly up on the surface. Pretty sad. He literally tried to bite off more than he could chew and choked himself to death. This blue gill was so big it wouldn't go down his throat and it's dorsal fins were sort of acting as barbs not letting it come out either.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150730_155724.jpg 
Views:	710 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	46723   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150730_155729.jpg 
Views:	672 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	46726  

Yup. You see that posted on this site periodically.

Yeah I've seen that myself at D.V lake,that looks a little long for a Gill, did you take it out,just wondering?

Cya Tuna Vic

Agree with Tunavic .. the fish looks more narrow like a Redear , But i have seen it quite a few times at Perris , fish biting off more then they can chew ... Heck last week it happened to me on the Tube , I was reeling in a large Gill and a LMB Totally smashed the Gill off the side of my tube , was exciting to see and be splashed by a huge Perris bass and watch it swim off with the gill .. I am sure that bass that took that Gill had no problems she was Huge . would suck to hear that bass died from the same result .
    Last edited by Misfitdog; 08-01-2015 at 01:18 PM.

I've actually been on board a boat and saw this very same thing, but the large bass was still alive. By carefully working the Bluegill's dorsal fin spines down, my friend was able to pull out the fish and revive the bass. At least it swam off and hopefully survived.

ive seen that many times with the lmb's and stripers.........

I've "rescued" 2 LMB's with crappies stuck in their mouths, both at Irvine, and both caught ON THE TROLL. The greedy bastids weren't satisfied enough with the giant sunfish stuck in their throat, they still had room for a 3" crankbait for dessert. I love bass for their all out insane appetite.

I picked up a 12lb bass at cachuma that was choking on a trout. Ironically I was trolling for trout out in the middle when I came across it. Put her in my livewell and eventually she puked it out and let her go. One gorgeous fish too

Last year I found a Striper at Skinner that had just died from trying to eat a 2# Bluegill. It had just died so I gave it to a guy that was trolling for Stripers. It weighed 24.7#.

That's so weird, the scale pattern don't resemble any panfish.

It looks like a carp from here from how big those scales are, but then I may be wrong, and it's probably a squawfish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast