Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: To Scent or NOT to Scent

Default To Scent or NOT to Scent

Hey Guys,

I plan on taking about 5, 8 year old boys fishing at Irvine lake and plan on targeting some cats. Hopefully catching cats!

Fairly new to catfish fishing here, however, I have done some homework. I've researched and have read quite a few different threads, posts, articles on the web and FNN.

I like FNN in particular as its local to the local fishing holes here in So Cal and appears to have many catfish aficionados here.
    From what I've gathered, I'm leaning towards fishing for some mackerel at the local pier(s) and using that for bait. May also bring some shrimp..?
    Plan to fly line from shore and using Owner light wire circle hooks. Any suggestions on Circle hook size for fishing from shore @ Irvine Lake?

My question to you guys is, Do you apply any type of scents to the mackerel / shrimp, or do you opt to leave it as is, el natural? If you do use scents, what scent(s) do you use?

Am I assuming right, that mackerel / shrimp is our best bet?

Any tips on best spot to setup from the shore?

Really hoping to get these kids on fish and have them come down with the Fishing Feeva we all got. Any help on tips / suggestions is very much appreciated!

Much Thanks!

I caught a nice one in the kids lagoon with my daughter. I used the Bite on mackerel the shop sells with no sinker. They usually bite later in the evening or early in the morning.

All the one's that I have caught recently were picky about the scent, pro cure was not working no matter what flavor, I ended up using straight crawlers.
    There also seemed to be an issue with weeds on certain parts of the lake from shore, the west side near the cliffs/dam worked for me because it had a sandy bottom, patience and different techniques are important, I also use floats combined with bobber stops, the large 7" thill weighted works the best for me.

I suggest fishing the kids lake. You have a better chance of catching fish. Flylining from the shore is not going to get your bait far enough out on the main lake. Frozen or near frozen mac works best. Peeled raw shrimp does good too.2/0 to 4/0 single bait holder hooks are fine. I like Octopus Circle hooks myself. I could go on for hours. Hope that helped.

CMD

Oh, and scents are up to you. I have caught with and without.

Quote Originally Posted by Catmando View Post
    Oh, and scents are up to you. I have caught with and without.
    Catmando! Damn I remember you giving me and my friend advice at the lake when I was like 12 or 13 years old. Glad to see your still around catching dem cats.

Is the "Kids" lake a pay by the pound pond? After paying the entrance fee, was hoping not to pay another gajillion dollars in the pay pond. Been there done that at Santa Ana river lakes.

Thanks for your responses!

I always use scents for catfish. Usually use shrimp or mack. My choice of stank is Hawk Wild. But they all work, from my experience.

Here's the info on the "kids lagoon"

http://www.irvinelake.net/kids-corne...on-information

You only have to pay once here...unless you go over your limits then that's another matter.

Quote Originally Posted by BiggetyBones View Post
    Is the "Kids" lake a pay by the pound pond? After paying the entrance fee, was hoping not to pay another gajillion dollars in the pay pond. Been there done that at Santa Ana river lakes.

Thanks for your responses!

Quote Originally Posted by zzzfish View Post
    You only have to pay once here...unless you go over your limits then that's another matter.
    Good to know. At SAR, we didn't catch any trout at the regular lake, so we went to the kiddie pond and my nephew caught 3 trout in a matter of minutes. It was great seeing him catch fish, but it wasn't so nice paying by the pound for the 3 trout. All good though!

Thank you for your response!