Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horseshoe Kelp 7/29/15

Default Horseshoe Kelp 7/29/15

Good evening everyone, had a fun day on the water yesterday! We launched our buddy's boat around 1130am, went and caught some mackerel for bait, then headed off to Horseshoe kelp. We got to the grounds around 12:45pm my buddy drops his line and within a few seconds my buddy's rod went screaming with a big yellowtail, he didn't set the hook right and the fish popped off. I drop my line in the water and in about 30 seconds my line goes peeling off the reel. I gave it about 5 seconds to run because I was using a pretty big mackerel and then I set the hook, It took me on one long run and then my line snapped. Do you guys think I gave it to much time to run? I still don't know why my line snapped, I had the drag set perfectly, oh well. My buddy hooks up again during the same time I broke off and the line is screaming off the reel! He fought it for about 10 minutes and then the hook popped off the line, another bummer! Make sure to tie your hooks on right people! Haha that was all the luck we had for the day. Got back in at 530pm, made it home by 630pm. Might hit it up again Sunday hopefully. I need to put one of those bad boys in the boat.
    Thanks for reading,
    Josh

Those big horseshoe yellowtail taught me some sad lessons...put on new line every time, at least 30 lb., and if you tie a knot and it doesn't slide tight perfect the first time, cut it off and do it again.

I've learned those lessons too stumpknocker. Except we were only using 20 pound test, might have to switch to 30 next time. I know it wasn't my knot that broke because it was a clean break. I'm thinking seal might have got to him. Oh well, there's always next time.

Don't bring a knife to a gun fight. 30-40.

A 20+tail will surely test 20lb line,you'll get more bites with 20,but you won't have the confidence to pull hard like you will on 30 or 40,I use a flouro leader on both my 30 and 40 but my buddy got bit twice on straight mono 30 and got both fish that weighed well over 20lbs,make sure your line is new and of the quality these fish deserve,you mention you were on the Shoe,west end?east end?middle grounds?how deep?
    Were you fishing with fleet? Ok thanks,heed advice you get on this board,and keep slinging and you'll get yours for sure!

Cya Tuna Vic

Quote Originally Posted by TUNAVIC View Post
    A 20+tail will surely test 20lb line,you'll get more bites with 20,but you won't have the confidence to pull hard like you will on 30 or 40,I use a flouro leader on both my 30 and 40 but my buddy got bit twice on straight mono 30 and got both fish that weighed well over 20lbs,make sure your line is new and of the quality these fish deserve,you mention you were on the Shoe,west end?east end?middle grounds?how deep?
    Were you fishing with fleet? Ok thanks,heed advice you get on this board,and keep slinging and you'll get yours for sure!

Cya Tuna Vic
    I believe in sharing information on this board. If any private boaters are planning to go out soon, I've got a few tips. These fish are NOT LINE SHY!!!!! (I do like a little floro though) I got bit 3 times on 40 pound test Tuesday afternoon on the Monte Carlo. It's easier to keep them hooked if you get bit on a Sardine. But if no Sardines are available, snag your own Mackerel but use a BIG hook. (5/0-8/0) The Yellowtail seem to be biting a little better in the afternoon, so stay late if you have the time.

Two ways to fish these things. 1. Long drifts with nose hooked baits, with or without a sliding weight. You don't need to fish a party boats chum line in drifting. These fish are scattered, so you will be letting out a lot of line so you will need the room. Just set up in the same area as the party boats and make a long drift. Method number 2. I got this straight from the horses mouth, Mola who runs the Monte Carlo said this, "line up with the double oil rig at the 150 spot." You can be as far away as 3 miles from it or as close as you want and anchor your boat. Start chumming and the Yellowtail will find you!!!!!! He did that on Tuesday with an hour left on our fishing time and we hooked 50 Yellowtail doing that!!! The Southern Cal on Tuesday did the same thing a mile away and landed 42 Yellowtail that day. Also check the Tides, their has been a high tide running late in the afternoon this week and that's when they seem to bite best!!! Good Luck and I hope people catch a bunch.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 07-31-2015 at 08:50 AM.

These yellows are not line shy!! Earlier this month before the bite died down, I was getting them on my #50!

You guys act like these spawners are mean fish. For 20-36lb class fish these things are hardly kicking their tails. 25 pound flouro is more than needed with how hard you can pull on it. Just use circle hooks. That chaffe won't happen anymore. If these things can be landed on half day boats with bass rods amd 50 other tanglers, get a clue. It's angler skill over fish power and gear quality.

Over thinking anything fishing wise will just caught more frustration with less fish hitting the deck. Obviously you guys had the right idea an were getting bit, it just wasn't your day to put them in the boat

If there is a rock around the area 20 pound will never stop a big tail from rocking you, even 30 is iffy and been rocked plenty on 40 too! Fast action, bummer on the results. Better luck next time out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast