Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just got a used boat, want to fish the harbor

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyraptor View Post
    Hey guys need some tips on what I need to take on my boat to fish the harbor area. The boat is a 1988 Seaswirl 16 ft with a Evinrude 90. Me and my dad got it pretty cheap and would like to use it for recreational but more important for FISHING!!

Attachment 46718Attachment 46719Attachment 46720
    Congrats on the boat. Tip: Make sure that it runs and the water pump is strong. You can go out of Alamitos Bay and check the islands or the break waters out. Outside early morning, then inside by 12p. Search for GPS coordinates on the Rock Pile. I have them in my old GPS but I don't know where it is. No need for a bait tank yet; go get some strong jigheads in 1/8, 1/4 and 1/2 oz, Berkley Power Shad, Super glue. Great set up for the 3 Bs around the Breakwaters. My pop got a legal white seabass once. You can also drop rig them as well. They look great in the water

Quote Originally Posted by SpinnerBaitKing View Post
    No need for a bait tank yet;
    25 lb Yellowtail 5 min outside the break wall. If it flat and not windy pin on a sardine on a 3/0.
    Barracuda too. When the gamefish leave then go back to bass.
    Buy a Gaff. This kind of fishing so close to home is awesome.
    Go Big or Go Home !
    DR

Quote Originally Posted by tpfishnfool View Post
    With any new owner wanting to go on the big pond, take a coast guard course and get it ocean ready. Truly a different animal going out beyond the breakwater. Safe first. Do your home work and have fun.
    We just returned from our summer fishing trip to Washington state.
    I had to have a WA Boaters Education card in order to rent a 90HP Seaswirl.
    Oh and get a fish finder like a Hummingbird - they do get you on the fish quicker!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0334.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	46770

North Bay Charters specialize in fishing charters in Bodega Bay. Fishing in Bodega Bay like to catch include sturgeon, striped bass, salmon, rockfish, dungeness crab, tuna, lingcod etc

All the suggestions so far are great. Regarding tow service. Go on line and look up Boats US. Vessel assist also services Boat US clients. You can by a year membership at any time. Worth while. Even though you state you want to fish in the harbor. with the calm waters we have had lately you will get outside the harbor and fish. Just a couple of miles off the Dana pt coast could hook you a tuna, dorado, and more.
    Radio: Most critical piece of gear for the ocean.
    If you have only one battery I would suggest you will fishing in neutral with the engine running to preserve the battery.
    Check for Bait tanks on line however if you are near Dana Point. Check out Hogans tackle for information on The correct size Bait tank. Several boats like yours have bait bags than hang over the transom and do not interfere with fishing space on the boat.
    Life ring with 100 feet of small diameter strong ski rope should be on the boat in case someone falls over board.
    Life jackets. I know we hate to wear them....... we insist everyone wears life jacket when boat traveling over 10 knots.
    If your boat rocks a lot in the waves you should keep life jackets on

Buy gal of salt away and run it through the engine after you pull it out. It is concentrated. Get it with the little reservoir that goes between the hose and your engine. Will preserve you engine from salt damage.

We started fishing the harbors with our 15 foot lowe boat and got so hooked we bought a 22 ft center console and now we fish 20 miles off shore. Best wishes and God Bless/ Tight lines

Quote Originally Posted by JL View Post
    All the suggestions so far are great. Regarding tow service. Go on line and look up Boats US. Vessel assist also services Boat US clients. You can by a year membership at any time. Worth while. Even though you state you want to fish in the harbor. with the calm waters we have had lately you will get outside the harbor and fish. Just a couple of miles off the Dana pt coast could hook you a tuna, dorado, and more.
    Radio: Most critical piece of gear for the ocean.
    If you have only one battery I would suggest you will fishing in neutral with the engine running to preserve the battery.
    Check for Bait tanks on line however if you are near Dana Point. Check out Hogans tackle for information on The correct size Bait tank. Several boats like yours have bait bags than hang over the transom and do not interfere with fishing space on the boat.
    Life ring with 100 feet of small diameter strong ski rope should be on the boat in case someone falls over board.
    Life jackets. I know we hate to wear them....... we insist everyone wears life jacket when boat traveling over 10 knots.
    If your boat rocks a lot in the waves you should keep life jackets on

Buy gal of salt away and run it through the engine after you pull it out. It is concentrated. Get it with the little reservoir that goes between the hose and your engine. Will preserve you engine from salt damage.

We started fishing the harbors with our 15 foot lowe boat and got so hooked we bought a 22 ft center console and now we fish 20 miles off shore. Best wishes and God Bless/ Tight lines

thanks for the advise. We actually went out of newport a couple weeks ago and got 3 Bonitos. We used a homemade bait tank that worked pretty well. We still need to the get the VHF Radio.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3697.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	47097

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123