Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Trip tomorrow Horseshoe Kelp

Default Trip tomorrow Horseshoe Kelp

Hey guys and gals, I'm going out on my buddy's boat tomorrow were gonna try some areas in around Horseshoe Kelp. Does anyone know if they're catching yellow tail there? I figured that would be our best bet but I haven't been out to much this season and not sure how the bite is there. We're launching out of LB, if anyone has any input they could give me, it would be much appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by JoshR88 View Post
    Hey guys and gals, I'm going out on my buddy's boat tomorrow were gonna try some areas in around Horseshoe Kelp. Does anyone know if they're catching yellow tail there? I figured that would be our best bet but I haven't been out to much this season and not sure how the bite is there. We're launching out of LB, if anyone has any input they could give me, it would be much appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Josh
    Just got off of the Monte Carlo afternoon run. The fishing is great and the bait is bad!!!!!! Tiny anchovies and not much to speak of in the way of sardines. Get yourself some Mackerel snaggers and snag at least 50 pieces of bait in the harbor. Buy some anchovies if you want to chum and for the Barracuda. If you want Yellowtail only, just use the Mackerel!!! Two ways to use them, long soaks drifting or anchor up near the fleet and wait and soak. We landing 2 #20 lbs Yellowtail and lost, (I'm too embarrassed to tell you) several others. Yellowtail fishing was much better in the afternoon!!!! Good Luck!!!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 07-29-2015 at 07:25 AM.

I fished yesterday Monday and Nacho had all the dines you wanted,nice big dines,don't know where the Monte went for bait,but it couldn't have been Nachos,there's a lot of fish to be had right now,Barrie's and tails,can't wait to see you report and pics!

Cya Tuna Vic

Thanks guys! Were heading out early, were going to pick up some sabiki rigs and make bait before we head out. I'll let you know how we do when I get back in tomorrow. Thanks again for the info!
    Josh

Can someone provide a map of this area?
    thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyraptor View Post
    Can someone provide a map of this area?

thanks.
    I don't have a map of the Horseshoe Kelp or the 150 spot. However, I've got the greatest computer of that spot that was ever invented. "My brain!!!!" Just kidding, what do you want to catch??? If you want to catch Yellowtail right now, I just went yesterday and in talking to the captain of the Monte Carlo he gave me all the Info you need to catch Yellowtail!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 07-29-2015 at 03:50 PM.

Johnnyraptor I don't have a map to it but you can always follow the cattle boats out. I've been going there sense I was kid so all we did was drive out to the area and looked for the fleet and we found schools of yellow tail instantly. Sorry I'm not much help.