Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Fun reel

Default Fun reel

I got a new kind of ultralight reel just for float tubing. Since I do a lot of deep water (15 to 30 ft) vertical jigging and drop-shotting, primarily for big Bluegill and Redears while float tubing, this "new" type reel which looks a lot like a fly reel, is actually made for ice fishing, has worked pretty good. It's made for very light line; 1 to 4 lb test, has an adjustable free spool button and a smooth star drag system along with a "clicker" button. The double handle has large soft grips. You can't really cast with it, it's made to just drop your bait straight down thru a hole in the ice, but I found that you can jig, troll or dead stick with it. What I think is great is that you can put the "clicker" on while you slowly kick or drift along, and if you get a bite, the reel will tell you. You do need to loosen the drag somewhat for this to work, then you can easily tighten it up while fighting the fish, and also turn off the clicker or it will make that noise while you are bringing in the fish. The star drag is a little touchy and you have to get it set just right while using the very light lines that this reel was made for. For me, I use circle hooks so I do not have to "set the hook", the fish hook themselves when they grab the bait/lure and turn to swim away with it. Just put the rod in rod holder and relax. Rod goes down, drag clicker screams and FISH ON! I think this reel would work good for trout fishing the lakes too, especially when drift fishing a drop shot rig. You can put this reel on any spinning rod or even a flyrod. I have heard that Daiwa and Okuma will be coming out with these reels soon.
    URL=http://s103.photobucket.com/user/fishmounter/media/EagleClawinlinejiggingreel_zps50e80487.jpg.html][/URL]

Nice looking Ikeda reel. How much did you get it for? I've seen some at some down right expensive prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifishtoolittle View Post
    Nice looking Ikeda reel. How much did you get it for? I've seen some at some down right expensive prices.
    I just don't understand the benefits you get from this reel that you don't from a spinning reel.

Maybe someone can explain?

The benefits are… No line twist, which you get from a spinning reel, and the pleasure of just using something new and unique. If I wanted to cast out and use a crankbait or bass jig or spinnerbait, this reel would not work. But for a float tuber that likes to slowly kick along or drift in the breeze with tiny baits and lures, this is the reel to use. There are going to be people that won't like it, but for me and several others, it is a fun little reel to use while out on the lake.