Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: 4 species in a new spot

Default 4 species in a new spot

Short report.
    In late morning, I paddled out on my 9 ft longboard to a kelp zone that looked promising on Google Earth. Easy access, warm clear water and small baitfish around structure.
    Just got past the breakers and sat with jig floating in water while adjusting my reel – BAM – a nice calico grabs it and comes up. That was the case for the rest of the session – steady on 12-18” calico + 1 sandy (a total of 11).
    In one kelp hole I pull one after another a couple WSB 20 and 24 “ , one incredibly fat (pregnant?).

Then I saw big splashes between the kelp patches and fishes being chased by somebody, it happened on many occasions with up to 15-20 good size fish of all kind fountaining up in the air; at some point I thought I saw a fin, but I try to convince myself those were just seals (tough I have not seen them surface until about the end of the trip). I casted my plastics at the big boils around for nothing: surface , jigging mid-water , running fast – not a bite. Finally I let it sink to the bottom and slowly work through the kelp gap and suddenly the rod loads up nicely - I couldn’t wait to see what the creature was and horsed it up (thinking big bass?) getting the biggest fight of the day with rod tip slapping the water and reel zzzz-ing. Turned out to be a legal hali ~25” , promptly released too.

I did see one barracuda following my lure but he was to small compared to the splashing monsters that remained elusive.
    Great morning and nice spot on the record (the only one off PCH that did not have boats/kayaks!)
    At the end I run out of jigs and my reel started to get funky from being marinating in salt water.

I got a new real now and need to reload and get out there again.
    Hope all had productive weekend.

Nice day! I gotta give props to a dude who'll fish from his surf board! A true man of the sea :)

Yellowtail

That's what I thought too: yellow or big cuda but I was not going to call it until confirmed. Would have probably got broken off on 12 lb test anyway..

Quote Originally Posted by camdozer View Post
    Nice day! I gotta give props to a dude who'll fish from his surf board! A true man of the sea :)
    Loots of fun and benefits of being 'on-board; but need to learn how to overcame limitations and handle things without loosing control of the fish, items in your pack and also balance.

Nice job on the pulling fish on the long board..
    Robert
    <><

Awesome read, sounds like a blast

Great job out there! Awesome job on the numbers, variety and the legal...kudos on the release. I've always wondered how bad I'd get worked if I hooked a yellow on 12 near kelp or rocks, but like Bones always says, "worry about getting one to bite first, then figure out how to get him in!" So true...

Congrats!
    Don

I was wondering when we were going to be blessed with another of one your surfboard adventures. Can't wait until you get a BIG grab that tows you around
    Nice job on the multi species session buddy. In that zone you are fishing just about anything could be caught especially with this El Nino water situation. I personally wouldn't be using 12lb mono out there though. I'd use 40 to 50lb braid with a 20lb leader in case you get a big grab and have to button down or cut some kelp during a tug of war.

Good luck and be safe,

Mike

------<><
    Last edited by bones; 07-28-2015 at 05:41 PM.