Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Friday & Saturday short evening sessions

Default Friday & Saturday short evening sessions

Friday after work I decided to go see if bonies are running close to the beach. Got to the beach around 6PM and started throwing my favorite jig. A few casts later I got a hookup as my jig was almost near the beach. Bingo! A nice bonito! After many casts later I got another biter but didn't stick. Call it quits and headed home.

Saturday, the high tide forecast was around 6:30 PM. Time to hunt the big boys. Got my Daiwa Sealine and Okuma Azores Z80S and a couple of frozen macks and got to the beach around 6PM. Casted a tail section of the mack, and it didn't took long and I heard the bell alarm go off and saw my rod was at bendo. Before I got to it, the line went slack. Dangit it dropped it! Reeled-in the slack and made sure my line was tight and settled down again waiting for the take.. I knew it'll be back as always. About a few minutes, heard the bell again and this time my line was slowly peeling out. Picked the rod up, tightened the drag, a quick tug to make sure the hook was buried deep, and the fight began. This time I knew it was a bat as it changed directions several times. At some point in the fight, I wished I brought a fighting belt as the butt of the rod was doing a number on my upper hip. Then I remembered I had no fighting belt left as I shipped it all with my household goods. It's hard to beach a bigger surf creature by yourself. Trying to hang on to the rod and pulling the beast up away from the water at the same time. At my first pull to drag the beast away from the water, my hand slipped and I landed on my ***. Eventually I managed to drag it further up the beach, unhooked it, and dragged it back in the water. That was an awesome fight. A great exercise indeed. I suddenly felt hungry after the 10 minute adrenaline rush. Decided to pack up and head back home.

Video of the bat fight: https://youtu.be/wxVhB6YJPFY

Last edited by Fish-On!; 07-26-2015 at 04:05 PM.

Nice going on the bone and BIG bat! Don't feel
    Too bad about that fall..it's happened to us all at one time or another. Just glad you didn't lose the fish.

Don

Great job of bouncing back from your lost footing and for landing your monstrous Bat Ray! WTG!!

Thanx for the fish report with pic's.

SP Dan <"))><