Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SWAT - The Art of Finding your own fish.

Default SWAT - The Art of Finding your own fish.

Hi FNN neighbors! Today I ventured out with my buddy Stu on his 18 Parker for a coastal fishing excursion. I started the day ringing the doorbell at his house, as he had overslept.
    Next, we hurredly tied the ice chest in the bow, and discovered that half the lid had blown off in our haste to make it to the spot at sunrise.
    We get to the bait spot, and made squid fairly easily. A boat behind us hung a large mud marlin that wrapped all our lines, and we patiently waited for them to catch it. Didn't see any bent rods with the right kind, so after retying, said lets go exploring.
    Get to where I wanted to look, and start bounce balling the area.
    First fish is a halibut around 20 pounds on my rod. Get him up to the ice chest, and the fish goes nuts, and jumps back into the water!
    At this point, I'm shaking my head, but we continue our journey.
    I get another legal, then another 10 pounder, and Stu is looking at me like "what am I doing wrong" lol.
    Next bite is on Stu's gear, and its taking good line, only to chew through 50#
    I catch anothER 20 # class hali, and after giving this fish a headache, he joins his buddies.
    Things are shaping up for us, and we are all by ourselves. Stu's jonesing big time at this point, and his rod gets bit agin for a 20 # class halibut.
    Smiles, and high 5's, then I get a BIG BITE!
    takes a good 100 yard run, and I'm directing traffic with Stu at the helm.
    We circle this fish at least 5 times, speeding up when he tries to get in front of us, and I'm thinking ****, must have a T shark.
    finally after a good 15 minutes, we see color, and this fish is BIG!!!!
    Looks like a T coming up. Get him in gaff range, and this is what we got.

Fish was 55 inches long, with a 32 inch girth. The tail was over 12 inches across.

Stu gets another shot at probably another big sea bass, but gets chewed again. We decided we were done.
    This is my second pb this year, The fish weighed 70.4 pounds

Thumbs up

What a Beast Mikey, great Job Yoda!

A nice change of pace amongst all these Tuna reports.

Really nice fish mike!!!
    Way to go man......

Cm

What a monster...Congrats...just the halibut you mentioned would have made it a fantastic day.

Good job guys.......nice way to change the trajectory of what we've all been seeing!

Good lord...

That's why YOU are my favorite white seabass fisherman.

Awesome awesome catch EXfactor

Danggg Mikey!!!
    When I saw that beast I was hoping it was a 70+ pounder!?
    Congratulations on a fish of a life time Bro.
    Now you need that 70+ pound flatty....
    Have a great week,
    Robert
    <><

HOLY!!! I saw the pictures but I wasn't expecting 70+lbs! Congrats on the catchy Mikey and that's why we call you Yoda!

-Peter

That truly is something special,as I read your report I was thinking tanker! Ha I was right,that's one awesome catch of a lifetime,not to mention the great eats,and lifetime memoiries,congrats! Headed out tomorrow and I'd be happy to do half as well!

Cya Tuna Vic

Damn...Your awesome Mikey. I gotta admit though that when I saw the pic Arthur sent me I told a few buddies that it HAD to go 70lbs. No kidding...what a TOAD!

I remember a few months back some old salty dawg said to me "The squid are not going to show up. It's gonna be the year of the mackerel"....

I'm glad that guy was a tad bit off....LOL

That area you consider your back yard up there has got to be the best overall region for your delight brotha and you definitely have it wired from so many years on the big blue.

Great job as always Mikey!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast