Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Family Trip to Hawaii...with a side order of surf fishing.

Default Family Trip to Hawaii...with a side order of surf fishing.

Went to Kauai last week with my wife, 5 year old son Ethan and 2 year old daughter Erin. Some friends of ours were already there, Kathy, Naka, Taryn and Kendall. Naka likes to fish as well but had only gone on a couple of unsuccessful, short, family-interupted sessions before we got to the island. We stayed in the Hanalei Bay area.

Day 1

Went out at 6am (a lot easier thanks to the time change) to the beach below our hotel. I had always wondered how well an LC would do from the surf in Hawaii. When we arrived, I could see a shallow reef with a nice channel cut out and started flinging. On my second cast, BAM! Fish on! He made a decent little run and once I got him away from the reef, I called Ethan over and let him reel in a nice 8-9” papio. These things fight HARD! Related to a GT, Amberjack and Yellowtail...they pull, and like to find structure to break you off.

Made some more casts with a fair amount of hits but nothing stuck. Made a move down the beach but only managed a lizardfish...first one I ever caught in Hawaii, didn’t even know they were here. Upon releasing him, I was shocked to watch how fast they could bury themselves in the sand...right next to my feet.

Naka and his family came down to meet us a little later. I had conceded to snorkeling and family activities by then but Naka started gearing up. I took Ethan with us and had some shrimp to get him on some fish. While I was snorkeling, I had noticed quite a bit of fish around so figured he’d have a lot of quick action. Naka used a couple different lures but came up empty. Ethan got a handful of the local color...

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Kupoupou (Actually new species for me. Had to look it up and see what it was...cigar wrasse)

Hinalea

After reeling in a few of these, Ethan and I walked back to where our families were. Naka switched to bait and managed a couple of To’au (Blacktail snapper) before heading back. No picts but I shot a pict of one later.

Day 2

So, Naka and I planned a first light assault. Unfortunately, we misjudged the sunrise and were a little late. I didn’t realize till my last day what a mistake that is. These fish give you a small window at first light when they seem to be REALLY active. We still managed a few. Some guys that worked at the hotel had given us some intel that we wanted to check out that was just around the corner from where we had fished the previous day.

Naka walking in under a canopy of trees that lined the shoreline.

Looking at this view is not a bad way to start a day.

I threw the LC and lost it after a few casts to the reef. Switched up to a Kroc and had a few fish come up and boil on it before I finally hooked up and lost a papio at my feet. I ended up losing 4 spoons (Krocs, Kastmasters) before I gave up and switched to bait. Managed a few reef species including another To’au.

Naka switched up and started using a bubble with a rubber minnow trailing and got a few hits as well but finally managed to stick a Papio. Never seen one with the yellow spots like this.

He kept tossing that bubble combo and after a while I see him walking toward me dragging something in the water. He got spooked cuz he saw that long shape and black bars and thought it was a sea snake at first glance. Ended up being a Nunu (Trumpetfish).

Got the call from the wives saying our hallpass was expired and headed out for more family activities.

Day 3

So, we prodded the hotel staff for more info about another A.O. on the other side of the bay and made a family trip to check it out in the morning. That day ended up being the wettest of our whole trip. The rain helped keep the heat at bay but got a little messy. Our big tip ended up being kind of a bust as far as lure fishing. Naka ended up with another lizard fish, I got a small fish on my first cast and we both managed to lose a few more spoons. I switched back to bait to get the kids on fish and they had fun reeling in quite a few.

Check out the rain heading our way...

The crew showing off another rainbow in the background

First cast curse. Ta’ape

Me and Ethan starting our assault

Ethan caught lots of Kupipi and one Hinalea

My wife threw one cast all trip. It went a whole ten feet from shore and tangled. While I was trying to clear it. She hooked up to a small papio.

Taryn got a nice Kupipi too

My daughter Erin got to reel in her very first fish...a small Kupipi.

Day 4

Naka and his family had to leave for home, but we still had a few days left. When my wife asked Ethan what he wanted to do, he said, “I want to go fishing again!” Dang near brought a tear to my eye...while my wife rolled hers.

We packed up our things and headed back to the beach. Since we had a late start, and this was for Ethan, I only brought the little pole and some bait. We only fished for an hour or so, but he managed to bring in some more reef fish and one nice surprise...

Nice sized Moana. When you see these snorkeling, they appear grey, brown and white, similar to the first photo when it first came out of the water. It soon changed colors to the vibrant reds, purples and yellows. This one isn’t as bright as I’ve seen them either.

Day 5

This was the last day that I got to fish. We stayed a total of 8 days and I got to wet a line in some form or another on 5 of the days so I was pretty happy. I went solo and was going with some extra insight this time around. The day before, while out site-seeing the island’s other beaches, I saw locals throwing Carolina rigs with small grubs. It wasn’t the first time I’d seen this technique on the islands, but noticed that they use pretty small grubs and like to use bright colors or black. Naka had also used this technique with some success before he left. I had some medium (3”) motor oil grubs with red flake in my bag and figured I give em a go. Instead of an egg sinker, I used a medium sized bubble so that I could pop the thing on the surface for noise, cuz another tactic they like to use for papio is surface plugs. The bubble would also help from hanging in the reef since this area was fairly shallow.

When Naka and I had asked one of the valets about one of his favorite A.O.’s, he paused looking at his watch. He said yea, if you leave now...meaning at 6:30-7am, we were missing the prime greylight bite. This time I made it down there at greylight. As soon as I started making casts, I can see fish boiling on the grub. Some would hit it and strip the tail. I knew there was quite a few small fish around from some snorkeling that I had done earlier in the week. It was just a fun watching the little guys blasting the grub on the surface...sort of like throwing a bubble and feather at bonita. After about 15 casts without a solid hookup, I finally get one to stick. Only I never saw a boil on the bait. I can tell it’s not a papio cuz it’s not cutting across the water and not dogging me like they usually do. When I get it to shore, I can see why.

Po’opa’a. Very similar to a Sculpin but not poisonous. Decent sized fish too...about 7-8”

Next cast, I’m on again with the right kind but it comes unbuttoned. The next 10 casts have at least three boils on each retrieve. The grub is getting torn to shreds but I can’t bury the hook. Finally, I get one to stick and he starts running. Decent model and I get him to shore.

Next cast, hooked up again, but I can feel it’s not a papio. Po’opa’a #2...much smaller model.

I start making my way down the stretch of beach and realize as the sun starts to climb, the bite starts to taper off. I’m still getting boiled on here and there but nothing is sticking and the bites are getting fewer. I finally get a fish to stick and pull up another species. It’s another type of Hinalea (Wrasse) called a Pa’awela.

I make my way down to a river mouth that the hotel guys had recommended we fish. Naka and I hit it a few days earlier with a little success but nothing major, other than a lot of lost jigs. I get some fish to boil on my grub and see, just as I’m about to pull it out of the water, a wolf pack of about 20 fish swarming after it. I short cast into the school and get one to eat. A smaller, different type of papio...the same as my wife caught a couple days earlier.

I get two more to stick and the school moves on.

At this point, I’m pretty stoked that I got on a pretty good bite for my last morning and get the call to start heading back since my kids were up, fed and waiting for me to get back to start the days activities. I makes casts as I walk back and right when I call last cast....BAMMMM!!!! There’s a good sized boil on the jig and the drag starts to peel. I know I got a good one this time. I walk to my left to try and stop it from getting to a reef that I can see just under the surface. A small group of beach goers gather around to watch as I land my best fish of the trip. Looks to be about 14-15”. Mean fight on 10lb. test.

Called it a trip and spent the last day with the family touring around eating local grinds. A great vacation all around.

Hope you enjoyed the read...
    Don

Great report and a great time for the family. Wow what a variety of fish you caught, makes my head spin.

What an awesome vacation/report Don. The pics are amazing and the variety of colorful beautiful fish are mesmerizing !

I really know just how you felt when Ethan said " I wanna go fishing again ". Nothing warms the heart of a father fisherman like those words and it looks to me like he has already got the infectious disease in a GOOD way. Great job pops...... Now the main battle is going to be when he is about 10 years older and testosterone kicks in. I ultimately lost the tug of war with my boy when he discovered GIRLS...LOL
    Also worthy of mention is Erin's first fish the amazing barred Kupipi. Kinda looks like a zebra perch and the look on her face is priceless!

Thanks for sharing the wonderful memories with your family and friends!

See ya soon Brotha,

Mike

Very inspiring report Don, thanx for sharing your amazing family vacation with us , it really warms my heart to see the family fishing ! You guys put the wood to quite a variety of gorgeous fish, scenes and sceneries are priceless.
    God bless your family!

Tight lines,
    Edgar

Thanks for sharing this fantastic report...can't beat fishing a new place with family and catching all those gorgeous new species with them...

Hi ya bachiboy,

Family times, lots of good memories and a few beached fish! What an excellent way to spend time with your family!

Thanx for sharing your vacation with us!

SP Dan <"))><

Awesome trip,those pics were very cool,I saved a couple of those,the pics of your family were great too,thanks!

Cya Tuna Vic

great report and pics! we fished on Kuai a couple of years back and caught many species but no Papio.

What doesn't eat a MORF???

Thanks for the great report and info! I'll be in Maui and Kauai in 10 weeks! Hopefully will have a great report like yours.

Very cool report Don..
    I was wondering if you were gong to get a chance to fish... OF COURSE YOU WERE!!
    Very cool to see everyone having fun, I liked the kids pointing to the rainbow.
    Awesome to see Ethan getting more interested in the sport that you enjoy as well.
    BUT, the best picture is the one of Erin holding the fish and examining it....
    Glad you had a fun time with friends and family.
    Take Care & God Bless,
    Robert
    <><

p.s. Good Luck on Sunday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast