Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Vacay fishing

Default Vacay fishing

I loaded up the truck, put the canoe on top, hitched up the tab trailer and hit the road...first stop was Flaming Gorge reservoir in Utah. I camped near a launch ramp that was close to deep water so I wouldn't have to paddle miles to fish different depths. I started out trying to catch a burbot using glow jigs tipped with a sucker chunk, but no bites for a while...then this lake trout grabbed the jig.
    It was about 3 pounds or so...I've eaten lake trout this size before, so I let it go. I kept trying to catch a burbot, fishing in 40 to 100 feet of water. I hooked and lost one, then no more bites, but I kept seeing fish around 40 feet down in 50 or more feet of water on my portable meter...so I set up the clamp-on downrigger on the canoe, put on a spoon tipped with a sucker chunk, and started trolling around. Pretty soon I got bit, and as soon as the lure came off the clip this kokanee came rocketing out of the water.
    It fought like crazy, jumping about 10 times until I netted it. I kept trolling for another koke, but no other bites that morning. The next day the burbot and lakers wouldn't bite, the kokanee had left the area I was fishing, so after a couple of hours of trying for them I went back in the cove and caught a bunch of rainbows on spoons, plugs, and bait...just about anything. I let them go since I still had a kokanee fillet left for dinner.
    Next stop was Nebraska...I was going to just travel through, but I found a pamplet in a rest stop describing the fishing ponds they built along I-80, so I bought a one day license and tried a few...I love catching sunfish, so I had a blast catching a variety of them on a worm and bobber. Here's a rock bass and a green sunfish...I also caught some nice bluegill.

They were big and easy to catch, compared to California sunfish...
    Next fishing stop was northern Minnesota...I fished a couple of lakes there for a few days and caught Northern pike
    Smallmouth bass
    and yellow perch...this one was about a pound
    Unfortunately, I spent most of my time trying to catch a walleye, but no luck...it's kind of tough on my fishing ego to not be able to catch a walleye in northern Minnesota, but that's how it went...no shortage of other fish though.
    We went next to the Canadian Rockies...didn't fish but great sight-seeing...then a few days in Washington, where I caught a lot of little yellow perch and sunfish...not worth showing the pics...
    No walleye or burbot on this trip, but I'll be back, and the fish I did catch were fun and delicious...if you cut the y-bones out of pike, they're great!

Nice post! You put some miles in your car! I love fishing in Utah but haven't wander out far enough to Flaming Gorge yet. The trout fishing in Utah is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by zzzfish View Post
    Nice post! You put some miles in your car! I love fishing in Utah but haven't wander out far enough to Flaming Gorge yet. The trout fishing in Utah is amazing.
    Thanks zzzfish! I was gone a month and did get tired of driving eventually...Utah is indeed a great place to fish for trout...lots of places with lots of trout and lots of kinds of trout, including some interesting hybrids (e.g., tiger trout) that you won't find in California.

yeah...i caught a tiger when i was there. Very cool looking fish. Also caught a very nice brookie too! I was hoping to catch a lake trout but the weather was pretty bad plus i didn't have the gear for it. There's a post on here a year back or two about my trip there.

Man, those are a lot of miles!

I'm driving through Idaho for my (now yearly) trip to Yellowstone in a few weeks, and I've always wanted to pull over and fish.

Thanks for the report.

Quote Originally Posted by zzzfish View Post
    yeah...i caught a tiger when i was there. Very cool looking fish. Also caught a very nice brookie too! I was hoping to catch a lake trout but the weather was pretty bad plus i didn't have the gear for it. There's a post on here a year back or two about my trip there.
    I'll look for your post...I think most people catch lake trout by trolling deep, but I've been able to catch small ones from a lake shore in Teton throwing kastmasters...the one in the pic from Flaming Gorge was offshore in about 50 feet though...probably had to have a boat of some kind for that.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Man, those are a lot of miles!

I'm driving through Idaho for my (now yearly) trip to Yellowstone in a few weeks, and I've always wanted to pull over and fish.

Thanks for the report.
    There's some nice lakes not far off the I-15...and a three day nonresident Utah license isn't too much...might take some time out of your Yellowstone trip though.

Great report!
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    Great report!
    Thanks.
    Thanks Brent! It was fun catching some species of fish that don't live out here in SoCal.