Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: 99 Ranch Market?

Default 99 Ranch Market?

Two questions

1. Where do they get there fresh sculpin and vermillion rock fish from? Is it local waters where
    we fish at or is it somewhere else like another country,

2. Why do the striped bass they sell have way more girth than the stripers you catch at Silverwood?

The stripers are farmered wipers. Striper/white bass hybrids. They are sterile so they grow faster since they don't have to develop reproductive organs. Don't know about the cod. They have labels with country of origin.

My opinion is the small schoolie Silverwood stripers are sustaining themselves on freshwater shrimp since bait fish numbers have dropped dramatically in the last few years both silversides and shad. The larger stripers should show better girth this year due to the amount of trout that were dropped in the lake.

On the positive side I've seen more fry in the water recently than I've seen in many years, could be a rebound year we shall see.

I know there is a under the counter market for stripers caught out of our local lakes, wouldn't surprise me if some stripers you see in stores are from our local waters, not legal but some have sold their catches to some store owners. Of course not saying the 99 cent store would ever do such a thing.