Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Charging System Help!!!!

Default Charging System Help!!!!

Bought my first boat just over a year ago and I'm having my very first issue (welcome to boat ownership I've been told).

Specs: 2005 Tracker Pro Team 185 - 60hp EFI Four Stroke

Not sure if there's any way this is related but just before the issue began I took it in to a local shop for maintenance - oil/filter change and impeller/oil service.

First trip out after service was to Skinner. I barely used the motor (trolling motor was used most of the day). Brought it home. The very next weekend I took it to Perris and it would not start. Dead battery. Jumped it throughout the day and took it home and put it on the charger.

Next trip out it died again towards the end of the day - jumped it again.

Came home and, not knowing any better, bought a brand new battery.

Last night (second trip on the new battery) and I'm back to a dead battery. I noticed the V's drop when I turned you nav lights on (about 11.8 or so). Started it up and headed back to the launch ramp watching it drop very slowly. Got the truck down to the ramp to load up and the battery wouldn't turn it over - loaded it via rope and dragged it home.

I just jumped it in the driveway and ran it on the muffs - brought the RPMs up and watched the V's drop fast - motor started dropping RPMs so I shut it down.

Not sure if this is related but I did have the cover off and noticed a plug connection on the left side coming from the top cover/belt area down and around to the front side - red and black wires only - and the plug was partially melted. Is that perhaps the wires to the regulator?

Sorry for the rant. I just want to make sure I include as much info as possible since I'm pretty much clueless about this thing. I am however mechanically inclined and typically prefer to perform my own maintenance. Lack of time was the cause for taking it into a shop for the last service.

Thanks in advance for any advice on troubleshooting this!

Joe
    Last edited by Baja1ab; 07-20-2015 at 10:01 PM.

Try this site below. Sounds like it is not charging, replace the bad connection too. You could cut out the bad jack and replace it with 2 male to female crimp connectors.
    Best to use marine grade and not typical auto part store connectors.

http://forums.iboats.com

Use the search and see if someone has had the similar problem.

I had the same problem with my 200hp Optimax and it turned out I had a bad alternator. I don't know about your 60hp unit but to replace my alternator was over $700 at local dealer. I would call John at Jones Trolling Motor and describe your symptoms and get a diagnosis from him. http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com/st...lternators.htm

Ran it by my local guy. He spent a little time on it and it looks like a rectifier/regulator. It appears it was replaced once before by the previous owner. It also appears there's a fuse that was eliminated during the installation so it caused some wires to fry.

Unfortunately (for me), my local shop is closing after 34 yrs of business. Wife and owner are retiring, sold the property and inventory to separate parties and they're out. Fortunately the shop owner walked me through the installation and it seems pretty straight forward. I have a replacement on the way and hopefully I'll be settin hooks in no time!