Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: low waves/surfs

Default low waves/surfs

Hi does anyone know if low waves happen during the tide change or does it depends on the location? I've been trying to surf fish but the waves seem to be to rough.

I use spitcast.com, it will give you fairly accurate waves, swell and tides. Verne

Quote Originally Posted by vdisney View Post
    I use spitcast.com, it will give you fairly accurate waves, swell and tides. Verne
    Thanks for the 411....what conditions do you like to surf fish in? I've been going like 3 or 4 times a week using lc110 but no love from poseiden lol

Quote Originally Posted by inthezone View Post
    Thanks for the 411....what conditions do you like to surf fish in? I've been going like 3 or 4 times a week using lc110 but no love from poseiden lol
    Keep at it and you will start dialing it in.

Read this and it will shorten your learning curve:
    http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/sho...101-The-Basics

Quote Originally Posted by PokerFish View Post
    Keep at it and you will start dialing it in.

Read this and it will shorten your learning curve:
    http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/sho...101-The-Basics
    I have been readin a lot and these are the notes I have gather so far. Please let me know if you have any other tips =)

slow retrieve
    Calm waters, low waves
    Structures, tide pools, Sandy areas, kelps, birds, baitfish
    best time is 2 hr before and after of each tide
    Early morning or early evening is good
    after grunion run is also good

Hmmm am I missing anything else? I am targeting halibut.

I have been readin a lot and these are the notes I have gather so far. Please let me know if you have any other tips =)

slow retrieve
    Calm waters, low waves
    Structures, tide pools, Sandy areas, kelps, birds, baitfish
    best time is 2 hr before and after of each tide
    Early morning or early evening is good
    after grunion run is also good

Hmmm am I missing anything else? I am targeting halibut.
    Sounds like you got it. Go throw your LC (or other lure) somewhere you can see the action, that way you can understand what it's doing when you pause, jerk, reel fast, reel slow, etc.

Tide does not determine "if" I fish, but more "where" I fish. Sounds crazy but keep a log book, over time you will see a pattern on which areas fish better at different tides. Keep at it and good luck, Verne

Your on the right path with the above tips. Don't get discouraged. Surf fishing is not the easiest thing by any means. Keep in mind that it has been relatively slow recently but it should pick up soon with the El Nino water temps on the rise.
    Keep an eye out in the surf section in the next few months. SWAT is sponsoring our annual surf derby called Hunting Giants VII. There will be many seasoned anglers there who will guide you in the right direction. Typically during the fall the surf fishing turns back on big time.

Thanks for the heads up. I have been still trying and still no love on the lc....I have been going to 72ND place but now I think it is time for a new spot lol. The only bites I've been getting is on bait and wait.