Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grunion and Surf Fishing Malibu

Default Grunion and Surf Fishing Malibu

My wife and I went down to Malibu for the grunion run last night. Got there at about 10:00, which was about an hour before the run was supposed to start. I was chucking a chrome and blue Kastmaster at first, which looks remarkably similar to a grunion when it's swimming down there. Latched onto this decent Flatty that's pictured below within about ten minutes. I knew it would be a good night!

No more action on the spoon, but then the grunion started showing up to play. My wife was having a blast chasing them around and trying to keep them from wiggling out of her fingers, so I tied on a c-rig with a 1/2 egg weight, a 1/O circle and proceeded to start baiting them as she brought them in. I landed 3 small Kelpies (they were back in the water before my wife could come over and snag a pic) all in the 9-10 inch range.

Then the one that got away... It was a large hally I guarantee it. Their head shake is so recognizable when they are on the line, that it just must have been. He screamed off some 10# Mono with my drag at about 75% for a good ten seconds to start the fight. I got him within about 15 yards and that's when it happened. A large wave came through, put just enough slack in my line despite my furious reeling, and he was gone with one shake of the head. I've caught keeper hallies in my younger days fishing, and this had all the hallmarks of what was to be a great surf fish and a delicious lunch today.

Oh well. He returned to the sea to snack on more grunion and make more flatties for our fishing pleasure, and my wife and I went home around 1 am a very happy and tired couple.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	46628

Sounds like you and the misses had fun..
    My wife won't go anymore, now that the kids are grown.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Robert
    <><

Sounds like a lot of fun. I was down there on Wednesday and the little buggers didn't show up.
    Tip.....I'm assuming you let that halibut go. Try to not hold them by their gills but rather grab some sand for grip friction and do a sand hand tail grab. Definitely helps any fish survive that you intend to release.

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    Try to not hold them by their gills but rather grab some sand for grip friction and do a sand hand tail grab. Definitely helps any fish survive that you intend to release.
    Learned something new, the 'sand grap'................thanks Mike

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    Sounds like a lot of fun. I was down there on Wednesday and the little buggers didn't show up.
    Tip.....I'm assuming you let that halibut go. Try to not hold them by their gills but rather grab some sand for grip friction and do a sand hand tail grab. Definitely helps any fish survive that you intend to release.
    That's a really great tip. Handling halibut has always freaked me out a bit, so I've always deferred to the gill plate, being as gentle as I can on the gills themselves. I'll give that a try next time I land a shorty like this one, and just hope he doesn't shake those teeth near his own tail!

good ole grunion run

Did you mean 75% drag on your reel? Or 75% drag setting of your line? Either way I think you would benefit backing off on it a bit... especially surf fishing because the receding waves can add a quick kick. A good go to is 1/4-1/3 of your line weight, anything higher and you're asking for a break off

Quote Originally Posted by E.A.R.G. View Post
    good ole grunion run

Did you mean 75% drag on your reel? Or 75% drag setting of your line? Either way I think you would benefit backing off on it a bit... especially surf fishing because the receding waves can add a quick kick. A good go to is 1/4-1/3 of your line weight, anything higher and you're asking for a break off
    Great tip also. It's amazing how you can almost double your drag by just going into the high stick position. Guide friction is very under rated. Try hooking your line to a stationary object and then back up with your rod pointed at the anchor. Then do the same with your rod in the high stick position. The difference is like night and day. A drag set too tight is going to backfire at the worse moment. You can always go into a high stick and if needed use palm friction on a spinning reel or thumb your spool on a bait caster. Careful though...I've had both my palm and thumb smoked by a few titans...LOL

On the sand hand grab I've found that a quick handful of sand on the topside followed by my fingers grabbing sand on the bottom side when doing the initial grab ensures grip on BOTH sides of the tail. Grab strong and confident like a MAN handshake and the halibut wont shake free....Most of the time!

More awesome advice, thanks guys. I'm planning on heading back to Malibu August 2 for the next anticipated run. It's a Sunday night, but I'll have the next day off. Anybody down to meet up?

Nice report. Bummer on the one that got away. Next time. Lol

Not sure where in Malibu you actually hit up the grunion run but be careful where you park. Some areas like surfrider have restrictions beginning at 12 midnight and its a $76.00 ticket. Parking enforcement is real sneeky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast