Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toronado Yellowtail

Default Toronado Yellowtail

As hot as the fishing has been I couldn't bare to sit at home the entire weekend without getting a line wet, I called up the landing to see if they had any spots left open and made my reservation.The Toronado left the dock at 10pm and after loading up on some very nice dines we were off to Catalina, in the am it was bit slow getting one here and there but nothing wide open, we had lots of newbies on the boat so if your were trying to fly line of the stern be prepared to lose some line, I tried to stay clear of it but after a few seconds I couldn't feel my bait and i knew what that meant, lucky for me it only cost me 30 yards of braid and 8 feet of floro, i grabbed my jig stick and shot up to the bow, after a few cast i hook up into a fun 30# and the skunk is off, I keep trowing the jig for another hour with no love. I see a big halibut being gaffed , "I want one of those !!!!!!!"
    I tie up a dropper loop with one of the smaller sardines let it drop straight down , instant hook up "i was thinking damn that was easy turns out it was rat yellow maybe 10 pounds , picked up another 2 small yellows and decided to try the fly line thing again, by now people had spread out, I guess everyone had their share of tangles, I had set up my Avet MXL for the dropper loop with mh rod and didn't feel like retying so went with little sx , #65 braid plus #20 floro leader, I paid for that decision , I dropped a nose hooked sardine in and instantly get picked up by a freight train :EyePo?? its starts peeling line and didn't stop until I only had about 1/4 of the spool left , I knew it had to be a beast , this thing took me around the boat twice "HOT RAIL HOT RAIL "I yelled like a mad man, good thing everyone got out of my way cause i would have ran them over if they didn't ,
    this thing is pulling so hard its actually loosing up the reel from the deackhand rod , good thing Ray is there and calls for a screwdriver and they tighten up my screws as im pumping the fish , (great job guys ) after a 20 minute battle Ray sinks the gaff and brings over an amazing #38 pound yellowtail , my personal best what a great feeling, felt accomplished felt good felt out of shape hahaha picked up a couple more mid grade after that and finished my day going 6 for 7 , killed a bacon cheeseburger and napped all the way home, enjoy the pictures

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2522.JPG 
Views:	388 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	46621Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2538.JPG 
Views:	364 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	46622Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2553.JPG 
Views:	338 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	46623Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2559.JPG 
Views:	344 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	46624

nice job with light line. i rarely fish 20. 30 lb is my norm. thank for the report. job keeps me all over the country, so i miss the fishing.

Nice report. You just made me call and book a trip.

Nice brother! looks like you switched from fresh to salt
    Good Job out there buddy

congrats on the slug. Way to tickle him in with light line.

WTG bro,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Don't knock the SX,,It got,r done for you for sure,,,

A tail that big has Got to be a freight trail,,,

Great report.

Thanks

Quality tail for sure,I know what you mean by feeling out of shape,any tail over 25 is gonna test you and your gear,yours truly was a beast,wig!

Cya Tuna Vic

Quote Originally Posted by luckyjr21 View Post
    went with little sx , #65 braid plus #20 floro leader,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2522.JPG 
Views:	388 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	46621[ATTACH=CONFIG]46622]
    You've definitely got "Skills".... Congats on a "Beast".... JW

Congrats on the PB!

TD

Quote Originally Posted by jw4Bassing View Post