Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: From the Board regarding the new boating policy

They used to check for lifejacket s. Bottom line is they're going to take a big hit by losing private boaters. Who's going to leave their vessel at home and fish here from shore or pay for a rental when there's at least one good alternative nearby. Its a very sad time we live in. No doubt. Its not like jimmy went out there and popped those morons' kiddie raft and watched them drown. What if someone is driving a car without seatbelts, gets killed in an accident, does the family get to sue DMV for not having a representative there to inspect the car prior to it being driven every time?

Here's the article from the Register.

Note this comment from the article ""I don't know what caused it to capsize, if there was a leak or something malfunctioned," Sounds like they inflated a boat then launched "unauthorized". I guess it still could have been a solid boat with a leak but that would have been a pretty catastrophic leak.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/s...ge-county.html
    Last edited by seal; 07-17-2015 at 01:27 PM.

I'm assuming this is the incident in question;

I have a question for anyone reading this, how many of you go out on boats and don't know how to at least minimally swim?

***This article says it was an inflatable...
    http://abclocal.go.com/story?section...nty&id=8712656
    Last edited by HawgZWylde; 07-17-2015 at 02:06 PM. Reason: add article

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post

Note this comment from the article ""I don't know what caused it to capsize, if there was a leak or something malfunctioned," Sounds like they inflated a boat then launched "unauthorized". I guess it still could have been a solid boat with a leak but that would have been a pretty catastrophic leak.

Lol, well I guess we were typing at the same time seal...

I'm guessing they probably snuck it in after dark. They probably jumped the fence down the road somewhere, carried it down and dropped it in the water. Trying to put 4 adults in an 8' boat, definitely not the smartest thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post

If you look at the pictures (pretty heartbreaking actually, one of the victim's wife was quite pregnant), the captions state that the boat was fiberglass. Not that this is definitive, just another source that could be wrong.

What does an 8 foot fiberglass boat look like? Something like the below. And there were 4 grown men on it?

Quote Originally Posted by shinbob View Post
    If you look at the pictures (pretty heartbreaking actually, one of the victim's wife was quite pregnant), the captions state that the boat was fiberglass. Not that this is definitive, just another source that could be wrong.

What does an 8 foot fiberglass boat look like? Something like the below. And there were 4 grown men on it?

That's what I read and I'll bet they somehow got most of the weight on one side and it flipped over. A sad tragedy but why must everyone pay for their negligence?

It was a little cheap inflatable raft like a kids toy type.. 4 dudes in it..

Quote Originally Posted by vineline View Post
    Anglers:

To clarify the new policy of no private boats on the lake, three years ago an incident occurred where 2 individuals on an unauthorized boat
    drown. A lawsuit was filed against Irvine Lake and as a result, our insurance will not allow the use of private boats. We regret this inconvenience.

Read more on the incident: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/b...lake-doan.html

Board of Directors,
    Irvine Lake
    I'm sorry Irvine Lake but there's more to this story and you aren't telling us. Your business will take a HUGE hit unless you do something about this. And most likely end up closing up shop! Here's a few questions some may be asking in their head.

1. When was the lawsuit filed? (Fill us in with the Case Info!)
    2. What's the status of the lawsuit? Judgement entered, Settlement, etc!
    3. Insurance policies usually last 6 to 12 months. This was more than 3 YEARS AGO, your insurance company has got to have known this "could" have been an issue. So why is it an issue now upon this renewal period?
    4. Your private launch fees are very high. I can now assume it's been to pay high insurance premiums for private launchers. You certainly haven't put much money into launching facilities for the past few years.
    5. Maybe you need a new insurance agent and company? Why not allow private boaters to provide proof of insurance, name Irvine Lake an ADDITIONAL INSURED on private boater's policy, minimum coverage for like $500K or $1M, I'm sure Irvine's Lake policy is no more than $1M if $2.5M at the most. Every few months do a boat inspection and insurance inspection, charge the boater for the time to do the inspection. And in return reduce or remove the private boat launch fees.

But I promise you Irvine Lake, if you don't do something or change your pricing schedule accordingly for fishing and rentals, etc. You will be out of business by next year! Just look at the comments you've been getting here. The future of your business rests with this decision!

Quote Originally Posted by iPhish View Post
    I'm sorry Irvine Lake but there's more to this story and you aren't telling us. Your business will take a HUGE hit unless you do something about this. And most likely end up closing up shop! Here's a few questions some may be asking in their head.

1. When was the lawsuit filed? (Fill us in with the Case Info!)
    2. What's the status of the lawsuit? Judgement entered, Settlement, etc!
    3. Insurance policies usually last 6 to 12 months. This was more than 3 YEARS AGO, your insurance company has got to have known this "could" have been an issue. So why is it an issue now upon this renewal period?
    4. Your private launch fees are very high. I can now assume it's been to pay high insurance premiums for private launchers. You certainly haven't put much money into launching facilities for the past few years.
    5. Maybe you need a new insurance agent and company? Why not allow private boaters to provide proof of insurance, name Irvine Lake an ADDITIONAL INSURED on private boater's policy, minimum coverage for like $500K or $1M, I'm sure Irvine's Lake policy is no more than $1M if $2.5M at the most. Every few months do a boat inspection and insurance inspection, charge the boater for the time to do the inspection. And in return reduce or remove the private boat launch fees.

But I promise you Irvine Lake, if you don't do something or change your pricing schedule accordingly for fishing and rentals, etc. You will be out of business by next year! Just look at the comments you've been getting here. The future of your business rests with this decision!
    I would say the majority of the people on this board have Conservative leanings!!!! With that being said, what is the Conservative view point on business? Only the strongest should survive!!! Bad business decisions means their OUT OF BUSINESS!!!! Maybe we will get lucky and some one new takes over and solves this problem!!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast