Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: From the Board regarding the new boating policy

Default From the Board regarding the new boating policy

Anglers:

To clarify the new policy of no private boats on the lake, three years ago an incident occurred where 2 individuals on an unauthorized boat
    drown. A lawsuit was filed against Irvine Lake and as a result, our insurance will not allow the use of private boats. We regret this inconvenience.

Read more on the incident: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/b...lake-doan.html

Board of Directors,
    Irvine Lake
    Last edited by vineline; 07-17-2015 at 09:22 AM.

While I feel bad for their families, these 4 idiots were in an 8 foot (!!!!) boat at night without life jackets, and there is a lawsuit against the lake? This is why we can't have nice things...

Quote Originally Posted by shinbob View Post
    While I feel bad for their families, these 4 idiots were in an 8 foot (!!!!) boat at night without life jackets, and there is a lawsuit against the lake? This is why we can't have nice things...
    Indeed. But I do find it a little confusing.

1. What made the boat "unauthorized"? Did they sneak in?
    2. Weren't/Aren't there liability waivers that are signed by private launchers?

You know what really sucks about this.. This will in no way prevent what happened from happening again.. You can still launch "Unauthorized"...
    Out at DVL you have to get your boat inspected and get some sticker from the water district, Maybe some inspection policy could work?
    Really hope you guys can work it out so we can launch again..
    one more thing? Can you launch on the 23rd or is the 22nd the last day?

Trial lawyers and dishonest people suck. This can have ramifications for any and every body of water that has private launches. Signed disclaimers or not. Typical "it's not my fault that I broke the law" attitude that so prevails modern society. They break the law and it's YOUR fault so you have to pay for it. Insurance companies suck as well because rather than fight for what's right, they settle to reduce litigation costs. Yes, I feel bad for the families left behind but their loved ones broke the rules and the public must now pay for it. They, and their attorneys should be ashamed but most trial attorneys and dishonest people have no shame...

look for a new insurance company. dont let your insurance company dictate how you run your business. Check with a broker and shop it out to get the most competitive bid for what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Quagga View Post
    1. What made the boat "unauthorized"? Did they sneak in?
    I'm guessing the word "unauthorized" is not quite the correct word to use in this context. Maybe better to say "non-conforming with regulations"? Like exceeding the load capacity, having the right # of life jackets and throwables on board, etc...

The lake was probably sued for not making sure all regulations were being met. In all the times I've launched at local lakes, I've never been checked for these things. But I've heard it occasionallly happens, especially at Castaic.

Unauthorized to me would be a private vessel that did not get registered for launch at the entrance. Remember boats have a launch fee and although I've only float tubed or rented out there I would assume there is/was a cursory inspection or document signature required if a boat was launched, I'm sure some on here know this answer better than I. If I'm correct then they did not pay a launch fee and this was a boat that may have been an inflatable, one that nobody would see come through the entrance.

But all just speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by flyhigh123 View Post
    look for a new insurance company. dont let your insurance company dictate how you run your business. Check with a broker and shop it out to get the most competitive bid for what you want.
    I totally agree with you on this one!!!! I would find it hard to believe that Irvine Lake is now, "Uninsurable by all Insurance company's of the World!!!!!" If it costs a lot to more to insure private boats, just pass it on to the consumer!!!! Then let them decide if they want to pay it or not!!!!! What I hope didn't happen, is a knee jerk reaction to losing a lawsuit.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 07-17-2015 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shinbob View Post
    I'm guessing the word "unauthorized" is not quite the correct word to use in this context. Maybe better to say "non-conforming with regulations"? Like exceeding the load capacity, having the right # of life jackets and throwables on board, etc...

The lake was probably sued for not making sure all regulations were being met. In all the times I've launched at local lakes, I've never been checked for these things. But I've heard it occasionallly happens, especially at Castaic.
    The only time our boat was inspected for regulation compliance was at DVL for a Striper tourney. But that should be up to LE, not the lake concessionaire. It boils down to people must accept responsibility for themselves unless gross negligence by the concessionaire is involved. Without knowing the full circumstances surrounding the drownings it's impossible to make a fair judgement though...

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast